Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maintaining & Developing Focus

felizsusannafelizsusanna Free Trial Member
in General 17 karma

Anyone have any tips on maintaining focus throughout the test? I have an issue were I sometimes reread lines in LR or RC and I think it's safe to say that it's causing me to waste time. I would just like to be able to read something once and not have to go back through.

Comments

• LS-AT WalkerLS-AT Walker Alum Member
    66 karma

First, I wouldn't worry if you have to re-read some things. This is natural. The wording is sometimes confusing and takes two reads to gain understanding. It is really good that you are recognizing that you don't understand a passage and subsequently re-reading! This shows that you have the comprehension and focus to recognize your own understanding of the text!

In regards to maintaining focus I have several tips that helped me. Go slowly. Though this may seem counter-intuitive, if you go slow enough to garner understanding it will cut down on re-reading and increase understanding, ultimate leading to faster tests speeds. Deep breathing techniques also helped me to calm my nerves while testing. This resulted in less non-relevant and distracting thoughts during the exam, in turn, increasing my understanding, focus, speed, and accuracy.

• felizsusannafelizsusanna Free Trial Member
    17 karma

Thank you for this! I will take these tips into account!