Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Explained

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
in General 14008 karma

Hi everyone,

For the past year, we’ve been working on a major project. The premise is simple. Law school professors know a lot about the law. We know a little about teaching. What if we joined forces?

The result is Law School Explained, a series of video and audio lessons that walk you through the basics of a typical 1L curriculum. Instead of making you infer the law by reading hundreds of cases, we just, well, explain it—and by “we,” I mean “top professors from around the country.” We’ve broken the lessons into small, digestible units. Think of our course as a primer, preview, and supplement that you can watch on the couch or listen to when you go for a run.

We’re working on eight different subjects: Property, Criminal Law, Torts, Con Law, Civil Procedure, Legal Writing, Contracts, and a forthcoming class about how to succeed in law school. So far, we’ve published about a hundred animated video lessons and nearly two hundred audio lessons. Although we’re producing more content each week, we’re finally ready to share this. Here’s how it works:

You can subscribe to our audio and video lessons for $16 per month, or you can subscribe to our audio lessons alone for $9 per month.

With either option, you’ll be able to listen to them right from our website. If you subscribe to the video lessons, you’ll also be able to watch the animations on our website. And with both options, you’ll get access to new content as we publish it.

>>You can sign up here: https://7sage.com/lawschool/pricing/<<

We’re eager to hear what you think!

Comments

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    541 karma

What relevance, if any, would this have for Canadian students?

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14008 karma

@"Hans Zimmer" We built this intending it for US law students so unless the Canadian 1L curriculum has significant overlaps, my guess would be: not that relevant.

You can check out the videos that are freely accessible and see for yourself.
    https://7sage.com/lawschool/progress/

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

Is there an opportunity to ask questions about the lessons and receive answers ?
    Either way, will be subscribing. Thanks!

14008 karma

@"Heinz Doofenshmirtz" Not from the Profs themselves but we do have legal researchers on staff to answer questions initially since we're still developing the product. That feature will fade out over time as the lessons are meant to be self directed much like our LSAT course.

• Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
    264 karma

For those who signed up during "promo" period before (I remember that it is 1 year access?), do we still need to subscribe? Thank you!

14008 karma

@"Cookie Moon" You guys should be all good through whatever amount of access time you received through the early bird promo!

• cgucgu Member
    12 karma

When will Early Access end?

• 1952 karma

all those lessons for only $9 / $16 per month? thank you for those reasonable prices!

14008 karma

@cgu This isn't an early access sale, it's just the normal price.

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" :smiley:

• jlewis2618jlewis2618 Member
    edited September 2020 69 karma

If you build it they will come brother! --- Also in my opinion, if its possible, keep your style. I know the curriculum is serious, but you managed to keep the LSAT study material some how casual and comfortable while still immersive and informative. I've listened to you so much at this point it sometimes feels like we are just hanging out and you are explaining stuff to me -- keep that! i'm sure others feel the same way.

• 175orelse175orelse Alum Member
    51 karma

Is there a way to preview some of the videos? Like a preview / sneak peek at a video for each of the 8 classes so we get a gist of what it'll be like?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Similar to @175orelse `s comment, but I am not sure whether I would utilize the videos or not. While I am visual most of the time I read the transcripts of your LSAT video lessons because it is so much faster than slogging through the video. However, sometimes displaying information visually really helps with explanations. I am certainly going to purchase a subscription, it is the best way to assure myself I am not making a mistake going to law school, but I am not sure which is better for me.

• 7Sage Editors7Sage Editors Member
    edited September 2020 17 karma

@175orelse @VerdantZephyr the first three lessons for each subject are free. Check it out!

https://7sage.com/lawschool/progress/

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Thanks, will do. Will this still be available for a few weeks? I am in pre-October test mode right now but this is something I will prioritize when I can.

• Wyatt 170Wyatt 170 Member
    33 karma

Lowkey sounds like a fantastic idea -- thank you for all you do JY

14008 karma

@VerdantZephyr Yes, this is not going anywhere!

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

Do we need to be subscribed to the monthly or one year plan to access this? Was wondering if I could access it after completing my LSAT (in which case I wouldn’t need access to the CC or the vid explanations anymore).

14008 karma

@lsatdiva333 No, you don’t need to have an active LSAT account to subscribe to Law School Explained.

• kaylamkaufmankaylamkaufman Member
    10 karma

Hey J.Y.! This seems amazing, as does the admissions site! But neither of these have options for fee waivers. Any chance that might be somewhere in the future? I am still on a really tight budget applying to law schools (and I'm sure I'm not alone in being super grateful for the $40 7Sage option for fee waiver kids), but would love to have some sort of access to these resources if that would ever be possible!

14008 karma

@kaylamkaufman Thanks! We intentionally priced LSE audio content at $9/month because we wanted it to be accessible. Right now that's the best we can do, but perhaps in the future we can introduce fee waiver options.

• Bookworm-1Bookworm-1 Member
    edited September 2020 43 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    @VerdantZephyr Yes, this is not going anywhere!

@J.Y.Ping would you ever consider doing closed captioning/full transcript for all of your videos?

14008 karma

@Bookworm For LSE that's already in the works. Currently no plans for that for LSAT.

• Hey just wanted to chime in and mention I too am blown away by the low price point. I'll definitely be utilizing this once I'm a 1L

• kaylamkaufmankaylamkaufman Member
    10 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    @kaylamkaufman Thanks! We intentionally priced LSE audio content at $9/month because we wanted it to be accessible. Right now that's the best we can do, but perhaps in the future we can introduce fee waiver options.

And just want to follow up with: I am definitely super grateful for the low price point!! And so super grateful for the LSAT fee waiver option. Even if fee waiver options don't become available for LSE, it certainly might be something that could be fit into the budget once all the law school app fees play out. Thanks, J.Y.!

• 273 karma

How is this different from the previous law school videos?

• 7Sage Editors7Sage Editors Member
    17 karma

Hey @"Learned Astronomer" — J.Y. announced a brief early-bird sale of these videos earlier. The videos themselves haven't changed (except that we're adding more)—J.Y. is just announcing the official launch of the videos and audio.

• matiecena83matiecena83 Member
    62 karma

Just wanted ask if the lessons have subtitles?

14008 karma

@matiecena83 Yes, we have them for most videos and are getting them for all. You can toggle CC on/off on the bottom right of the video player.

For example:
    https://7sage.com/lawschool/lesson/property-1-3-organizing-property-doctrines/

• 273 karma

@"7Sage Editors" said:
    Hey @"Learned Astronomer" — J.Y. announced a brief early-bird sale of these videos earlier. The videos themselves haven't changed (except that we're adding more)—J.Y. is just announcing the official launch of the videos and audio.

Thanks! Just to clarify: these are the same videos that have already been up on the "Law School site." You've just added new content and an audio version. Is that right?

How much additional content was introduced? Is it a good representation of all the core coursework one might be expected to do in 1L?

14008 karma

@"Learned Astronomer" That's right. We more than doubled the content. They are core 1L subjects.

• 273 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    @"Learned Astronomer" That's right. We more than doubled the content. They are core 1L subjects.

Thank you, J.Y. I just want to know, lastly: as a teacher and someone who has actually gone to law school, looking back from the other side now, is this the primary sort of preparation you would do before 1L? I have heard from many law students that there isn't much point studying before you get to law school because every professor teaches differently and expects different things.

You guys have designed a course and so I assume you think there is some benefit to preparing ahead of time? What's your take on this? How would you prepare for 1L if you had a do-over?

edited October 2020 14008 karma

@"Learned Astronomer" Yes, that's right.

As for the position you're summarizing, it's popular but if you're academically serious, then I think it's pretty obvious that any amount of substantive knowledge in the law is better than none.

Have a look at this thread that @BinghamtonDave started.

• linImmlaw2021linImmlaw2021 Member
    86 karma

I really appreciate you pricing this content reasonably. After I take the Nov LSAT, I plan on transitioning to prepare for my 1L year. I will sign up for this course then.