Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Cancelling with Score Preview?

bruhhhhhhbruhhhhhh Core Member
edited October 2020 in General 89 karma

I started studying in August 2020 and ended up taking the August Flex, on the grounds that I'd take advantage of the flex format to practice and better prepare for subsequent tests with less panic associated with first-time LSAT experience, then use the score preview option for first-time takers to cancel (at that time it was uncertain whether future tests would also be flex, hence my decision to test with <1 month of studying).

I received a 164 on the August Flex and am retaking in Oct./Nov., but now I'm not so sure if I should cancel the August score.

Working under the assumption that I see an improvement in future scores (regardless of validity of such claim) and that my ultimate goal is 170+, is it better to cancel? Below would be two ideal situations (there's also the possibility that I cancel and score lower, but considering only the upside first), but I'm unsure if there is any nuanced difference in the expected return:

(1) first score canceled, second score 164+ score, done with LSAT
(2) first score 164, second score 164+, done with LSAT

So the difference would be having a 164 somewhere on my application in addition to a second score, or simply having one score I'm satisfied with and one shown as canceled.

I'm aware that Law Schools only look at the highest score, but that the more retakes there are, the less credit given by Law Schools to succeeding scores. I was wondering maybe cancelling a score would offset to an extent the impression of multiple retakes/not starting out with a higher score, or maybe this doesn't matter...

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Comments

• sydney59sydney59 Core Member
    66 karma

I wouldn't cancel. 164 is still a great score! Yes, 170+ is better but what if something happens on the upcoming test day? This is just my opinion though!

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited September 2020 905 karma

I wouldn't cancel your 164. Think of it as a 'back-up' score. If you cancel, the score won't show, but a cancel WILL. So they'll know that you took more than one test, they just won't know the score - likely they might even assume (gasp!) that it was horrific (and a 164 is tops for some). If you eventually get a 178 :smile:, then you can easily explain the difference with a supplemental statement - they might even be really impressed that you scored a 164 so fresh into studying!!

• bruhhhhhhbruhhhhhh Core Member
    89 karma

@hopefulling said:
    I wouldn't cancel your 164. Think of it as a 'back-up' score. If you cancel, the score won't show, but a cancel WILL. So they'll know that you took more than one test, they just won't know the score - likely they might even assume (gasp!) that it was horrific (and a 164 is tops for some). If you eventually get a 178 :smile:, then you can easily explain the difference with a supplemental statement - they might even be really impressed that you scored a 164 so fresh into studying!!

@sydney59 said:
    I wouldn't cancel. 164 is still a great score! Yes, 170+ is better but what if something happens on the upcoming test day? This is just my opinion though!

Thank you so much for the warm advice! :smile: