Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT12.S1.Q21- The new perfume Aurora

miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
edited September 2020 in Logical Reasoning 1016 karma

Why are answer choices A and D incorrect? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    614 karma

Hello,

A is incorrect because Professor Jameson is one of the foremost experts in the physiology of smell. While the argument uses his status to show that Joan and her friend's sense of smell is defective, it's still possible for Joan's friends to be experts in the physiology of smell since Jameson would be a superior expert to all of them, since he is one of the foremost experts in the field, while they would be just regular experts, not ones at the top of their field.

D is incorrect because the argument just says that Joan's friends don't like the smell of Aurora perfume as much as other perfumes. Even though it's at the bottom of their list of perfume smells they like, that doesn't mean they dislike it.

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    1016 karma

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this! @SSBM1000 However, I am struggling to understand "D." So in the stimulus, we are being told that Joan's friends do not like the smell of Aurora as much as the smell of other perfumes. So, the friends dislike perfumes equally? Is this why we could never definitely conclude that they dislike Aurora?

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    614 karma

@miriaml7 said:
    I really appreciate you taking the time to write this! @SSBM1000 However, I am struggling to understand "D." So in the stimulus, we are being told that Joan's friends do not like the smell of Aurora as much as the smell of other perfumes. So, the friends dislike perfumes equally? Is this why we could never definitely conclude that they dislike Aurora?

No worries. The reasoning is that just because the friends like the Aurora perfume less than all other perfumes doesn't mean they dislike it in general, not that they like it equally. To provide an example, I could say that I like pineapple pizza less than all other kinds of pizzas, but that doesn't mean I dislike pineapple pizza. I could very well enjoy it, but I just happen to like all other kinds of pizzas more. It's the same logic for the friends liking Aurora perfume less than all other kinds of perfumes.

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    1016 karma

Thank you so much!!! @SSBM1000