Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moral Character Determination

leonsmoneyleonsmoney Member
in General 280 karma
Hi, all. Wondering if anyone with a less the angelic past has undergone the moral character determination and come out on top. I'm not a hardened criminal by any means, but I was a bit rough as a teen/young adult. Misdemeanor as a juvenile and one as an adult. I'm old (40 now) and have been a Marine on active duty for 17 years. This stuff is long in my past, but after doing some research it is all about to get dug up again. I've read on the CA and AZ bar pages about their standards, and it seems like i'll be okay. They put a lot of weight on the time that passed between the incident and now, as well as what you've done since. I'm just curious to hear from others if they've had any problems or pointers. I know full disclosure on both the law school app and bar app is paramount. Thanks ;)

Comments

• rblackshearrblackshear Alum Member
    104 karma
    2 misdemeanors 20 years ago? your fine. lots of people have far worse records than that. All they care about generally speaking is full disclosure. Also, California has a very liberal position even on felonies.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    From what I understand, 100% transparency is not only required, but appreciated.

Demonstrate that your past is a benefit to your future—an important part of your story that will enhance your practice and perspective—and that the wisdom you have gained by it is indispensable. You've been that "rough" young adult; what an asset to have inhabited the mind of one who has limited esteem for the law, and to have come full circle—to now desire to uphold the law and advocate for those who cannot represent themselves! Etc.

Chuck Colson's story is one of the the greatest examples of the redemptive narrative, and there are many more to be told. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Colson

You might benefit from a consultation from an admissions coach (the folks at https://www.admitadvantage.com/ will give you a free consultation). Consultants can help you determine exactly which details are necessary and help you frame disclosure as part of a cohesive narrative.
  • leonsmoneyleonsmoney Member
    280 karma
    Great advice! Thank you for your replies :)