Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character/Fitness Questions on Applications

kelsey.rkelsey.r Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 62 karma
So I am filling out my applications right now and I came across the scary 2 questions:

1)Have you ever been subject to a dismissal, a suspension, probation, an accusation of misconduct, a probable cause hearing, the lowering of a grade, or any other academic or social sanction by a high school, college, university, professional school, or professional association?

and

2)Have you ever, including when you were a juvenile, been formally or informally detained, restrained, cited, summoned into court, taken into custody, arrested, accused, charged, convicted, placed on probation, placed on supervision, or forfeited collateral in connection with any offense against a law or an ordinance?

I am really nervous about these because they sound so serious and I can't 100% say no the them and not sure what to do....here is my situation:

1) In highschool a parent of an athlete from our rival school in the state football championship went on facebook and found 100's of pictures from over 200 students in my class and sent them to the principal in the mail on a disc. The moms goal was to get our football guys suspended before the state championship that weekend. The pictures were of hundreds of kids in different social situations hanging out and in the pictures were either red solo cups, lighters, etc. random stuff. I was in one of the pictures smiling NEXT to a person who was drinking from a red solo cup. The principal called me in and asked if the people in the pic next to me were drinking alcohol, I said to my knowledge there was alcohol there but I was not drinking. Which is true, I am 24 now so I really don't care anyways if I was, but I wasn't. I was very straight edged in high school. Anyways, I got suspended because I admitted to being around alcohol at a school function (it was a picture at a football game).......is this something I have to say? It is kind of odd and random and really stupid.

Also after my second semester of undergrad, I was put on academic probation because I left halfway through the semester for personal and family reasons. I got back in school the next semester and finished my degree all the way through without any breaks.

2) I had 2 underage drinking tickets in the very beginning of my undergrad days. Even though I blew like a .04 both times, because I was under 21 they were still drinking tickets. I wasn't driving, nothing illegal on me, no issues with the cops or anything. Did not even have to go to court, just paid $200 and that was it. I don't even think they are in the Wisconsin records. Do the schools still have a way to look these up if they were never even put into a record? How do people word these things on applications? Don't want to lie or do anything to get in trouble. All minor, minor stuff but it can still look bad I guess. Hate that I have to click "yes" to these questions over such minor things.

Anyone else in the same boat or have any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments