Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feel like I'm memorizing the games, not inferences

Taosage17Taosage17 Core Member

Feeling frustrated because I feel like as I practice games, I'm only memorizing those specific games and not getting better at making inferences. Any advice/perspective?

Comments

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

spread out the games do not repeat in the same day.keep record if u need.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Do new games instead of old games. It helps to map out a long-term study schedule between now and your test date so you know how many PTs you can use without "wasting" all of them. You should still foolproof old games

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited October 2020 905 karma

Do you jump around with game types while you're foolproofing (working from PT1, do all the games and then go to PT2, ...) ?? I don't know if it might start to click if you focus on a single game type: take, for example, sequencing twist - start with the 1-stars and work through all 15 games in a day, finishing with the 4-stars (working up in difficulty). Maybe having a clump will allow pattern recognition to kick in???
    I've been worried about the problem you're having for myself - especially that I'll forget after I finish foolproofing and focus solely on PT'ing. I've started to mark at least one game of each type that gave me the most trouble (or where there was a rule that caught me up every time I took that game - especially if I eventually got past that game quirk, to double-check if I start making that error in the future).
    If you are already doing this, I don't know if it would help to do a "warmup" game, where you take one of the games in the type you're FP'ing and strip away all the noun-details: break it down into as much of its 'lawgic language' as possible. Do the same with the questions. Almost as if an intense BR session (with this ONE game). Maybe even take the extra time to work through as many inferences as you can think to do - knowing that you're taking more time than you ever would. Analyze that game and THEN work through the other games of that type. There's 15 'types' plus then also the Misc games. Maybe some are more intuitive than others?
    (For me (and we're all different), I've divided the games up into Sequencing, In/Out, and Grouping,and Misc. Starting with Sequencing, each day I'm trying to do a 'round' of all the games in a sub-type of that main type (or more, depending on how many games ...). So: Pure, One, Conditional, Twist, Double, Spatial. Then I repeated and did a Round2 (in the same game type still). THEN, I moved on to start/work the other types, so round one of the In/Out types, then Grouping, etc. I get to mark off a game if I'm both under the time and scored '0.' I'm working through 4 rounds, with a back-up list of games that I don't complete in four rounds. (So far I'm still in the 2nd round of Grouping). I've noticed that I mark off more games as complete in that 2nd round compared to the 1st). I don't know if it just took a bit of time to 'kick in' to see patterns?? Or if I'm even seeing the patterns at all (eek!). I do at least notice that when I read a certain game setup and rules, that I just 'know' to do certain things - so I feel like it's working and I just can't see it clearly as much as feel it in my thought processes. ???
    I don't know if that might help or inspire something ELSE that you try :smile: , good luck!
    It's interesting, too, since the games are mostly testing our deductive logic capabilities (as opposed to faulty reasoning generally testing our inductive logic capabilities), similar to how the PSA and MBT types are looking at our ability to recognize valid deductive logic forms. Maybe (I haven't analyzed this since I started FP'ing) getting better at games will also make us better at PSA and MBT :).