Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume question

ameenaireneameenairene Free Trial Member

It seems like a lot of law schools want all time periods accounted for. If I'm applying as a college senior, do I need to account for every summer? For example, I didn't do anything the summer after sophomore year except tutor a kid. And during quarantine (March - August 2020) I mostly just studied for the LSAT. So those spaces are blank on my resume, should I add an addendum?

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I am not an expert in this, but I think you are fine if you are a college student now. However, that said, what extracurriculars did you have. You tutored a kid, given that you do not have extensive work history that may even go on there. What about volunteer activities? The admissions course has more about resumes, but those are things that may fill in some gaps. That said, check with more knowledgeable people regarding what a good resume for a college senior is. It has been a long time since I was in that place and I never applied to law school at that time. I would guess that you could get some information just by googling Law school resume examples for college seniors or something like that.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited October 2020 905 karma

In the Admissions course, under the Résumé section, they mention that if you're low in the Experience section, that you need to really have a LOT in the Activities section. Especially for people still in school. For people out of school (non-traditionals) they want to see the reverse. The information in the course is really helpful. I thought my résumé was done, but I was able to really condense it and make it better after reading the suggestions.

Another possible source is Anna Ivey's book 'The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions'
    https://www.amazon.com/Ivey-Guide-School-Admissions-2020-ebook/dp/B07TCGSQGR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=anna+ivey&qid=1602858657&sr=8-1
    https://www.amazon.com/Ivey-Guide-Law-School-Admissions/dp/0156029790/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anna+ivey&qid=1602858657&sr=8-4
    (The paperback is from 2005, so older than the digital copy ... not sure if it changed, though)

I haven't finished the résumé section, but her comments were very helpful. Especially to know that it's usually the first thing the admissions person looks at (7sage's course mentions this too, I think).