Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp Help !

arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
in General 243 karma
Okay, so I noticed JY does not really do "mapping" when it comes to reading comp. I have taken a Kaplan course before and basically I had to make numerous notes on the side of each paragraph and think of the Topic/Scope/Purpose/Main Idea.

JY doesn't seem to have specific route to doing the reading comp ( like notes, or mapping or whatever). The Kaplan method slowed me down ! ( English is my 3rd language) haha so I am already slow enough. What do you guys do when it comes to reading comp? Do you take notes on side? Do you just underline? Do you just highlight? What sort of things do you always keep an eye out for?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Mapping? For RC? I'm confused.
  • arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
    243 karma
    @nicole.hopkins mapping is a term we used to label and make many notes on side of the reading passage.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    It's good to map the MP and to track viewpoint changes for uber complicated passages, everything beyond that is totally personal preference. Mapping takes time away from the passage/questions and it might be better to try and improve your general passage comprehension. I'm very strange, I actually lightly underline the entire passage... I underline pretty much every word on the LSAT. 99% of people will think that is stupid but it helps me stay engaged in the material. It all just depends on the person. Underlining in select places is good. I've heard negative things against highlighting since it takes time and focus to switch writing implements. You might notice though, the more time you spend practicing RC especially with J.Y.'s Memory Method, the less you'll need to map. A better memory and understanding of the passage structure beats out a mapping strategy 10 fold. So try to rely less and less on mapping. In the long run it will better serve your LSAT interests.
    7965 karma
    @arabprodigy30 Sure—just wanted to make sure you didn't mean "mapping" in the same sense of LR.

As far as RC notation goes, there are a wide variety of theories, ranging from "almost nothing" to writing out brief summaries of MP's/contents of paragraphs.

Check out this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240
  • kraft.phillipkraft.phillip Free Trial Member Inactive Sage
    444 karma
    I've been an advocate for an RC approach that involves something I have referred to as creating a mental map of the passage. My theory for RC is that you have to refer back to the passage if you want to ensure that you are getting the answer correct (otherwise you are going off of your memory, which is obviously open to making mistakes), so the best approach would prepare you to do that efficiently.

I think it is important to have goals that you aim to accomplish through reading the passage--otherwise, you read inactively. The objectives I aim to complete/know are, in addition to generating a mental map of the passage (by which I mean knowing where things are so that I can refer back to them efficiently), the following:

The author's opinion
    Opinions of others in the passage
    what the passage is basically about and why the passage was written.

Lastly, I have noticed I use my hands a lot in order to add some tactile aspect to the reading. Specifically, I've noticed that the writing often has an idea that is disjointed by another paragraph, and that there is generally lots of referential language. I use my pointer finger and thumb to connect the two related, but physically separated, ideas in the passage. I imagine this is particular to my learning style, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Best of luck!
    -Phillip
  • kraft.phillipkraft.phillip Free Trial Member Inactive Sage
    444 karma
    Oh, I want to clarify that I basically do no notation of the passage. Maybe circle or underline the author's opinion. You should do whatever feels natural to you, plus do things that you know will directly help you answer questions. That's why I do what I do--I have justified, to myself, why I do every aspect of it, and it's always because it will help me more efficiently and accurately answer questions.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    As others have said you want to find what works best for you. I would give mapping a shot and see how it is after a few go's. If you can be concise it could easily keep you engaged in trying to figure out where things go in the grand scheme of things. Making a scale is nice too, you figure out the two points being discussed (maybe its one is better than other, or just mentions one option od something etc.) And as you read you actively try and predict and place the paragraphs and info on the scale so you're always engaged and paying attention. On my phone so hope that isn't too scatterbrained
    7965 karma
    I have found that some notation is effective for me but I generally write in the margins of things I read. It depends on what kind of a reader you are.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I am not a mechanical thinker and am instead more intuitive, so this may be of no help for you if you're looking for a more structured and systematic method. I simply did almost nothing but RC for a week straight to really get into the flow of it (I did this for all three sections types) and it definitely helped me improve. Be relentless about it without wasting material, of course.

I'm working with some serious assumptions here, but if English is your third language (which is super cool, by the way), your issue isn't grasping logical structures or the general flow of a passage but is instead the language itself; that is, reading it as quickly as the average native speaker would. I think my above suggestion would help with that, and even though it doesn't seem much more than advice of repetition, doing 95% of one section type can really improve your overall rhythm and confidence. Try BR-ing or taking an untimed section or two to see if you're doing much better without time as a factor. If so, mapping and everything else might not be of the greatest help, unless you're spending minutes parsing structure (which I wouldn't do anyway).

Another weird thing I do to strengthen my mental and emotional state is to nod when actually grasping what is being said. You're actively acknowledging your comprehension, which I find fazes out worrying and frustration.
  • arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
    243 karma
    Thank you all for your comments! I been doing more practice sections, I realized just underlining and circling few words works for me better than taking notes on side. When I would take notes I would end up writing paragraphs and slow down completely.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    The LSAT Trainer Book makes a BIG difference for reading comp.

In addition to mapping, this teaches about Question types (which is underrated).

The book is well worth the $

http://www.amazon.com/The-LSAT-Trainer-remarkable-self-driven/dp/0989081508
    7965 karma
    @"Quick Silver" love the Trainer especially for the question type breakdown for RC. The Trainer was my first love—but the RC question breakdown is something I'll return to again and again.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    The LSAT Trainer is very helpful on how to approach RC. Also drilling from the 4 RC passages that Cambridge offers.
  • unisdayyunisdayy Member
    6 karma
    I always try to comprehend the content, but whenever I find the part too complex, I only try to understand it on the surface level, and write the simplest note beside it just in case for the reference in later questions.
    Also, as I do more RCs, I find some of the contents, you can just see how they will use it for the question, then I also make a note next to the part for an indication. The most frequent example for this would be when you understand what they are saying, but it has multiple examples/details that you know you will get confused anyway later.