Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Only If" Confusion

FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
edited November 2020 in Logic Games 314 karma

Hi Guys, I am going through the LSAT trainer and came across diagramming drills using "only if" and I am having a hard time understanding the answers. I would really appreciate it if someone could help explain?

1. H will go before J if and only if H is after M.
    My thought process: this is basically two statements in one (one for "if" and the other for "only if"
    A. H will go before J if H is after M: M-H--J
    B: H will go before J only if H is after M: I get the same answer as the one above, which means my thought process in interpreting "only if" is probably off. The correct answer is J-H-M but I don't understand how. I know that "only if" statements should result in the opposite diagrams as those of "if" statements, but this is a rule I have only memorized and do not necessarily understand. Please help and thank you in advance!

Comments

• seonglee0630seonglee0630 Core Member
    20 karma

when there is "if and only if" you can think that like "<=>"
    in other words, H will go before J <=> H is after M
    H-J -> M-H & M-H -> H-J
    M-H- J

in contrast, when there is only "only if"
    H will go before J only if H is after M
    H-J -> M-H [not M-H -> H-J]
    I hope it clears the confusion. When I read the LSAT trainer, i was also confused. There are lots of lecture in 7sages, and it gave me much clear answer.

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    edited November 2020 314 karma

@seonglee0630 said:
    when there is "if and only if" you can think that like "<=>"
    in other words, H will go before J <=> H is after M
    H-J -> M-H & M-H -> H-J
    M-H- J

in contrast, when there is only "only if"
    H will go before J only if H is after M
    H-J -> M-H [not M-H -> H-J]
    I hope it clears the confusion. When I read the LSAT trainer, i was also confused. There are lots of lecture in 7sages, and it gave me much clear answer.

This makes a lot of sense. I'll probably go through the CC for a review because the trainer is definitely a bit confusing regarding thus. Thank you!