Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I include this in my Resume?

mashUSMMmashUSMM Member
edited November 2020 in Law School Admissions 52 karma

Hi-

I am a finance major and one thing that is on my resume (under education) is a financial modeling certification which is awarded after 50-60 hours of rigorous training, the successful building of a 3-statement financial model in under 90 minutes, and the passing of 2 exams on corporate finance, valuation methods, and accounting which when combined, has a pass rate of 11%.

This has been of great value for getting finance interviews and it always comes up in interviews. However, I am not sure law schools care. Any recommendations about if I should include this and if I do, where should I place it and how to describe it?

Comments

• Brian12693Brian12693 Core Member
    edited November 2020 88 karma

Put it in your education section and just make a bullet point.

Something like this:

University of ABC, 2020
    B.B.A Finance
    GPA: 3.80

• Financial Modeling Certification (add a quick explanation of what it is)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I would also suggest including it unless you have a very long relevant work history. Financial knowledge is very relevant to law and it sounds like a valuable industry related certification. Unless you have so many other important things to put on that there is no room I think it makes the cut easily.

• Brian12693Brian12693 Core Member
    88 karma

What financial modeling course did you use?

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

I'm a finance major as well. I agree with @Brian12693 -- make a quick mention of it under education. I'd expect that law schools would value finance-related work experience more (as they probably don't know much about modeling), but it's worth mentioning imo.

• mashUSMMmashUSMM Member
    52 karma

@Brian12693 said:
    What financial modeling course did you use?

https://adventiscg.com/FMC-program/

The pass rate I cited was for peoples initial attempt. Taught me more than any of my finance classes in college combined and has been very helpful as I will be spending the summer in Real Estate Private Equity