Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book Rec: The Daily Stoic

Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
edited December 2020 in General 1049 karma

The process of studying for the LSAT is rigorous. To use a well worn phrase, it’s a “marathon, not a sprint.” I appreciate and respect the journey my students go on because I’ve been there myself. There are certainly moments of self-doubt. Indeed, you're taking a bit of a gamble because while you’re maximizing everything reasonable you can do to prepare, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get the target score you want (You’ll likely improve significantly, otherwise I wouldn’t be in this business, but with all the working parts and factors involved, there are just no guarantees).

I often find myself counseling students on how to manage their emotions and stay grounded as they move through this process. (It’s actually one of my favorite parts of the job). Throughout this process, I’ve discovered stoicism - a practical philosophy where you can apply logic to get more out of life (Who knew this logic stuff would be so useful even after the LSAT? ;) Stoicism has been a valuable resource to my students and frankly it’s been a wonderful discovery in my own life.

For this reason I highly recommend The Daily Stoic. Each day you can look at an entry for that specific date on the calendar and it will give you a piece of advice based on stoicism. Because the LSAT study process is such a marathon, it’s nice to start your day with a piece of advice that can keep you grouned.

I love this book so much I’ve given a copy to family and friends. Check it out. It’s pretty inexpensive and it’s nice to have some thing like this to start your day with or turn to if you’re having a tough time. I keep my copy right on my breakfast table so I can look at the day’s entry while drinking coffee. It sets the day!