Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Study RC? My Wrongs Are So Random!

WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
edited December 2020 in Reading Comprehension 456 karma

Hi all. Nearly all of my last bit of prep has been focusing on getting my RC better/more reliable. Sometimes, I can get -0 on a timed section I've never done before, and then turn around and get -4 on a timed section that is a redo and I took it only 2 months ago. I'll even swing as far as a -7 or -8 on new, timed sections. There seems to be very little rhyme or reason. Not only that, but a lot of the time, I won't even get the same answers wrong as I did the first time. For example, I retook an RC section today and got -4 compared to -5 when I initially took it. And, the ones I got wrong this time were ALL ones that I got correct the first time. It makes me not even want to study for RC because I feel like nothing I do matters-- I may do good or I may do bad, but it truly does all feel like it's up to chance. Like obviously I should have been able to get those four questions correct, as I've done so before. Anyone else struggle with the same thing and found a way to get their variability in RC down? Thanks.

Comments

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited December 2020 905 karma

OMG, I'm having this same problem - especially with a swing in points missed. Ironically, for me, I seem to do better on the really hard passages, but even still not predictably. It's driving me nuts and I just keep drilling to speed up making summaries. ... Curious to hear others' suggestions!!

It's so annoying, if I could stabilize / make reliable my RC points, I would be low/mid-70s in my scoring, GRRR.

I tried to become more 'object-oriented' while reading, but found that I didn't have a good grasp on the passage, which made me miss MORE questions. Granted, I have a really hard time with object-oriented reading, I can't NOT become engrossed in what the passage is talking about ... even in the water bugs one. I've had to fight being too receptive at first with LR and I think I haven't overcome it in RC, like I did in LR. But, who knows!! I'm almost at the point of hiring an RC tutor, but I worry that I don't have the time before January and most seem to be booked up anyways.

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4577 karma

Hey @hopefulling and @WouldRatherBeEating!

I would recommend checking out @jmarmaduke96's guide to Reading Comprehension, I think there's a lot of great advice on this thread: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/26560/my-guide-to-reading-comprehension-part-1-long-ish-post

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited December 2020 905 karma

Thanks @Christopherr :) !! I've been trying to incorporate his notes this past week, trying to speed up my summary-making (since right now, they're not succinct at all!). I've read the Powerscore RC book and I like that he blends 7sage & PS a bit in his suggestion (and adds some additional, also important things to note). ... Working through PS's 'ViewSTAMp' takes me so long, ... oh how I wish we had paper tests to make this section easier!! Hoping that with practice, that maybe I'll see some improvement, especially to speed up and make the process more ingrained.

I started working RC drills on PTs 1-35 between main PTs. I hope to conquer this RC wall!!
    I worry that if I don't, that I might have trouble parsing through the law school texts - that in some way RC is more "relatable" to future schoolwork than some of the other sections.

I'm so grateful for your and @jmarmaduke96 's contributions of late in this section. They've provided a bit more clarity to the 7sage method as well as adding helpful bits to it. I've tried to make a little 'diagram' of the cookie cutter / organization of the passage and I just really need to get faster at it, since right now I think I 'panic answer' to avoid running out of time. But, it helps with understanding the MP and organizing the summary pieces a little more lately. And getting the pieces down really does make answering the questions feel faster.

I think I need to practice for a week turning the time off and just drilling approach. I feel like the 'clock fight' is taking over accomplishing improvement right now. I've tried to rely on my memory a lot more lately and that isn't working :wink: for the questions; I need to use summaries/notes instead!!

• Manik PanicManik Panic Core Member
    edited December 2020 111 karma

Maybe zoom out . Practice reading fast less vocalization, most words per line, comfy width.
    Also zoom in higher detail, and less rereading. Timed. And also, sum up in writing, then less words, then mentally. And know all sections can be improved. Pot'ly some books in addn to 7sage. Also reading a lot of books you're interested in but also harder challenging material with depth... and coming back to lsat rc sections. It is annoying. But seems similar difficulty as lr, sometimes harder, sometimes easier. BORING-factor, it seems harder. Both seem easier to me than RC tho. Still a hard test, doable tho.

Also -
    only eat after getting 20-30qs rite straight, and at nite. EATING is for closers @WouldRatherBeEating. If you eat satisified, trained, studied, and work done. It's way better.
    Adult mammals do not require nutrition.