Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beginner Help with LSAT Flex Reading Comprehension

I'm new to 7sage and I have been going through the curriculum. I like the idea of low resolution summary but I'm curious as to how you'll are doing this on the LSAT Flex where you are unable to write on the passage. Are there any techniques that you'll use for annotation?

Background: I usually score around -6 on LR and LG, but my RC grades usually sit around 50% incorrect answers. I'd like to get this down to the same level as the other two sections before I proceed with studying them further. (I haven't implemented the Low Res/ High Res summary technique on a practice test yet, before I didn't have any strategy at all.)

Comments

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

I also struggle with RC! I would say that the technique that JY recommends is more for improving our short-term memory, and it's not something we implement during the actual test day.

Right now I am trying to master RC by following all those steps and practicing them during the drills. During the actual test, I'll probably make little to no annotations.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited December 2020 905 karma

I write the summary down on my scrap paper. I try to be as succinct as possible, which is hard at times (I find I'm in a hybrid low-res / high-res summary state right now, with a desire to write out more than I have time for!).

I'm drilling to try to get faster. I do find that it engages me a lot more with the passage than when I highlight/use my memory, and also makes it MUCH faster to find a detail if I need to look back into the passage for something. Plus, it does make answering the questions faster, as a give-and-take (more time on the passage/summary, less time on questions). I just need to minimize my 'clock watching panic.'

Granted, I'm not a 'pro' at this - I'm also trying to get my RC misses down - so I'm not a success story (hope to be!). I'm just in the midst of implementing this (relied on the memory method with super-minimal/no notes for too long with undesirable results). I'm drilling untimed sections to try to embed the process (working through PTs1-35; trying to do at least 8 passages every non-PT day), while also taking my normally scheduled timed PTs and implementing the process as much as possible into those timed RC sections. I'm trying to drill more right now 'upfront,' so as not to "waste" precious RC sections in the timed tests I'm taking (and I'm in the 70s, working soon into the 80s; I'd like to be done with the drills before I hit the 80s tests). We'll see

When I did the RC CC, I was able to get the 4 passages done in 35-minutes with written summaries, but I reverted a few PTs after the CC and now I have to revert my bad habit. I felt like my memory had improved and I could just rely on the highlighter tool. We'll see. For me, I worry that I might have to hybrid this approach in the long run for timed tests: to 'summary' the passages that are either the most difficult or have the most questions, and then for the passage(s) with 5 questions (or the smallest one), just rely on my memory. Also depends on how familiar I am with the passage topic, which approach might be best.

I find that with the science / phenomena-based topics, that it's helpful to make notes on scrap paper to keep everyone's views straight - as well as to see the overall organization as a charted sketch. Not as necessary on some of the poetry/art pieces (the ones that Powerscore likes to refer to as "diversity" essays).

Good luck!!