Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does my old course grade count towards my LSAC GPA?

reallifehamsandwichreallifehamsandwich Core Member
edited December 2020 in Law School Admissions 13 karma

I'm applying to the JDP program so I don't really know how the LSAC GPA is calculated yet (hopefully I get in and don't have to worry about it lol). If a low grade for a class I repeated is not included on my official college transcript but the new one is, does the LSAC count the original class in addition to the other one? Or is it only counted if both grades appear on my official transcript?

Also wondering if I'm in fighting shape for T10s still if my GPA drops a bit. For reference, my GPA now is 3.71, but with the C factored in I have a 3.68. kinda stressed :(

Comments

• Hi,

Yes, the LSAC takes into account both grades for repeated classes. On my transcripts, since they were from different schools, you can see my original grade in one class and the new grade that was redone at a different college. If the original grade is no where on your transcript though, I don't know how the LSAC would find out about it. If they can see both grades, they will definitely count both as they did with my situation. However, if there is no trail of the repeat class, I don't think they would know about it since they only evaluate what they are given. Even though it only shows one grade on your transcript, is there any evidence that you've retaken the class (such as the same class listed again for another semester with no pervious grade showing)?

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-school/jd-application-process/cas/requesting/transcript-summarization

these are part of excluded grades

"The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation."

If the transcript doesnt show the original course grade, you should be fine

• reallifehamsandwichreallifehamsandwich Core Member
    13 karma

Stanford only marks it as RP and not the grade so hopefully I'm good, but if a law school is gonna reject me for a C I got as a freshman while my grades trended up, it probably isn't the place for me anyways :) thanks for the help guys!