Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When should I start PTing?

S.J.H.O.S.J.H.O. Member
in General 27 karma

I know it's recommended to complete the Core Curriculum before I start drilling PTs week after week, but it'll take months for me to complete the full CC with my current pace due to work (I'm in consulting, fml) and other commitments. I plan on taking the April LSAT and feel like I'll hit a juncture where it'll just be more effective for me to start drilling PTs with thorough blind reviews instead of continuing linearly with the CC (i.e. adapt to timing, build mental endurance, repetition, etc.)

Thoughts on how to navigate/formulate a study strategy? Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• mnkimmnkim Member
    137 karma

I was hitting 165-168 on PT1-20 when I first started 7sage and found the CC to be repetitive at my level of preparation. I only used parts of the CC to supplement my weaknesses during PT while PT+BR and problem set drills took up most of my study time. If you look skim through the CC and feel comfortable with most of the material or if you're already doing well on your BR, then going straight into PT + BR and supplementing that with the unfamiliar parts of the CC and doing drills should be a solid plan. However, if you have little to no mastery of the CC, going straight into PT won't help very much. Purpose of BR is to give you sufficient time to think each question over, and if you're not familiar with LSAT concepts, extra time won't suddenly enlighten you.

• ___AZ______AZ___ Member
    87 karma

hard core pt - every other day.
    soft ball - twice a week

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I would recommend taking + BRing a PT now to see where you are! Then you can go back to the CC to seek out videos and drills for specific problem areas. If you have no prior experience with logic games or similar types of puzzles, you might want to spend a bit more time with that part of the CC, because it tends to be less intuitive for most people. RC and LR might be areas that you are just naturally good at or feel prepared for from your college education (reading under timed pressure, picking apart arguments, identifying assumptions, etc). I agree with you that if you are in a time crunch, going through the entire CC might not be the best use of time.