Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System Test Error ProctorU:

I did a system check on ProctorU and my only 'failed' result was this: "RAM usage:
Maximum RAM usage is 90%. Your current RAM usage is 97%." I don't understand the jargon used to explain why this is aspect of the system test failed. Has anyone else experienced this? And, will this impact me on 'game-day'?

Thanks a ton,

Jan 19th Test Taker

Comments

• Andres BaezAndres Baez Member
    36 karma

I have the same issue.

• jonathan.xujonathan.xu Member
    edited January 2021 2 karma

RAM (or memory) is used by applications and programs to store/access data in the short-term so that it can be accessed quickly. Note that this is completely different from storage space where you typically keep your files, games, etc.

The more things you have running at the same time, the more RAM will be used up. Since most machines within the last few years or so come with at least 4 GB of RAM (the minimum spec listed on ProctorU's requirements), the first thing I'd try is to close all other non-essential programs to get your RAM utilization under 90%.

Hope this helps!

Edit
    You can see your RAM utilization in Windows by opening Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and clicking on the "Performance" tab at the top. You should see your memory usage along the left hand side. The process should be similar for a Mac.

• mnkimmnkim Member
    137 karma

If you had multiple tabs up on your browser, get rid of them. Turn off any unnecessary programs.