Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to begin with LSAT studying

studying4thelsatstudying4thelsat Yearly Member
in General 49 karma

Hi everyone! I had started studying for the LSAT in August but not that seriously because the school semester had begun. I finally have a schedule that will allow me to study seriously for the LSAT. So I know some basics but that's about it. Any suggestions on where to start? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment trying to decide which prep course or books I should buy since they are all so expensive. If 7sage is worth it, I might enroll in it. What are your suggestions? Should I be buying other books or enrolling in other prep courses with 7sage? I've heard mixed reviews about Powerscore and some people have mentioned Loophole and LSAT Trainer. Any thoughts on where I should start would really help. Thank you!

Comments

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

I would probably read reviews and get familiar with the structure/content of all the courses and books you mentioned. You don't necessarily have to read the books to get a feel for them - sometimes the descriptions and reviews reveal enough. Maybe try out some free trials for the online courses and see if there's a format that you like best, then stick with that one!

Many people have had successes with each of the things that you mentioned, but they're all different and each works best for different kinds of learners. I think if you're asking if 7Sage is worth it on the 7Sage forum, you'll probably get more feedback skewed to positive reviews because the ones on here most likely enjoy 7Sage and they're using it. Like me. I enjoy 7Sage. It is pretty helpful especially for logic games and analytics.

• aishstaraishstar Core Member
    21 karma

I was exactly you about a week ago. Very nervous about where to start, didn't want to waste my money, and just feeling very overwhelmed. My best advice is just to dive in. Definitely try free trials or samples of books if that suits you so you can zero in on a particular service or teacher. Personally, I considered my own learning strengths and preferred learning methods and settled on 7Sage because while I can sit and read out of a book to learn, I like when things are drawn out for me and someone is "there" with me so I don't doze off (I considered hiring a tutor but too expensive). I'm only a few sections into this course's syllabus and JY is super helpful and I'm learning a lot already. 7Sage has amazing reviews beyond this site also.

As far as buying multiple study materials, I am not trying to spend a ridiculous amount of money studying so in a month, I'm going to re-evaluate my study methods and if my progress keeps up, I plan to continue my subscription with 7Sage next month. (If it doesn't, I'll cancel and try something new.) And if I feel like I need additional study material along the way, I'll consider other supplementary material like the Powerscore Bibles and Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer. This is just the most logical way for me personally to rationalize, plan, and discipline my study habits. Otherwise, you run the risk of not getting your money's worth and wasting precious study time. Hope that helps!

• mclachl97mclachl97 Core Member
    38 karma

Everybody has different strengths but this was my experience... Personally I did the Powerscore Bibles the first time I wrote the LSAT (studied May-Oct) and wish I would have known about 7Sage earlier. I found that I wasn't retaining anything that I was reading and I was learning skills that were more geared towards the paper exam (I was using the 2019 bibles as I had intentions of studying earlier that never happened so maybe that was my mistake). The only Bible I actually found helpful was the Logic Games (usually averaged -3 prior to 7Sage, but this is also my favourite section and the section I studied first of the three so maybe I was just more motivated)

I've been doing 7Sage for about 6 weeks and feel like this is a wayyy better method for me. I kind of took the plunge and only compared Powerscore and 7Sage and just went with reviews from a lawstudents thread and I have no regrets. JY's teaching style feels very real (i.e. not robotic/monotone) and I'm able to focus longer and truly understand what is being taught to me. I also like that the format of 7Sage is similar to the actual LSAT (however I did a few practice exams on LSAC Lawhub to get a feel for the minor differences).
    In 6 weeks my PT's and my timing has improved. 1 more week and hopefully my real score will improve too!