Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Optional Essays/Statements

cpccall608cpccall608 Free Trial Member

When is it appropriate to add optional statements? For example, the Rutgers application has an option to upload additional documents about work experience, volunteer experience, anything to add to your application.

I feel like everything is covered in my application, personal statement, and resume. Is it bad that I don't add anything extra? Feel like it would just be listing my resume all over again.

Comments

• 1952 karma

less is more, and i've heard a few deans (including berkeley) say that "optional" does really mean optional.

on the other side of the argument is that this cycle might turn out different than the previous cycles; i've also heard a few consultants say that your "softs" might really come into play since a lot of applicants this year are pretty solid with their numbers.
    so it'd be in your best interest to try to make your app as solid as possible; this might be a great opportunity to highlight a few things that make you a great candidate (of course, just listing your resumé wouldn't be good though.)
    so see if you can cook something up.
    i've also heard a podcast lately on "yield protection" where schools would throw in optional statements to see if a very exceptional applicant would do them or not.
    but ultimately, if i really can't think of anything and if i'd just be repeating stuff elsewhere in my app without adding any value, i wouldn't do it.

good luck!