Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Should I Study ?

mitchellkendrickmitchellkendrick Free Trial Member
in General 11 karma
Back in February I made the decision to write the LSAT in June. Currently still in my undergrad: I choose to drop 2 of the 5 courses I was registered in to take this past spring semester. I went out and purchased all the "PowerScore" prep books and used their 4-month study plan as a guide. I found myself studying non-stop balancing school and the LSAT was difficult, but I am a highly motivated individual with a strong work ethic and was able to keep up the pace (for the most part). However I was stuck in my decision whether or not to write the LSAT in June, I'm currently 1.5-2 weeks behind that study schedule (PowerScores 4-month). If I were to follow through with that study plan it would require me to pretty much "rush" through prep-tests (waste valuable resources). So I’ve made the decision to hold off on writing until Oct. I believe that I can score so much better if I’m not rushing through materials and various prep tests (also I’m not where I want to be in terms of my score). It's not that I don't know the concepts. I've pretty much completed all of PowerScore’s publications (Bibles LR, RC,& LG), I know how to answer questions and don't struggle very much applying any of these concepts to LSAT problems whether it be games, reasoning (RC is a bit more challenging for me), however time is an issue (applying the concepts quickly becomes tricky) that is why I think I just need more time to solidify these concepts and then work on performing them quickly. However I don’t really know the proper approach for my studies going forward? I know "pretty much" all the principles (already been studying for 3 months) so starting with the basic's (Like every LSAT course/study plan does) would not suit me (or do I actually need to re-learn them if I’m not where I want to be) I don't believe I need to re-learn basic concepts (ex, sufficient and necessary, cause and effect etc…?). So my Question is what do I do going forward? Do I just use these next 5 months writing 1-2 prep tests a week and then take the time to go through it all week? Consistently do timed sections in LR and RC every couple of days and then review? Repeatedly bang out logic games? I'm just stuck and don't know how I should study for these next 5 months?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Where are you currently scoring on your PT's? If you are still a bit far away from your target score, I'd hold off on doing timed sections as of right now. Go through the entire 7sage curriculum and drill the Cambridge packets that use PT 1-38.
  • mitchellkendrickmitchellkendrick Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    My first "cold" diagnostic test was not good at all (147), and since then I've score in the mid 150's but i've only done 2 others. I know i can improve so much i want to be in the mid 160's. kinda disappointed with the "approach" of the plan I was on. I wish I would have found 7sage earlier lol. In regards to the cambridge packets I have the PowerScore "type trainers" for LR and RC & LG, that include the questions (by type) from PT 1-20 should I start with those ? going through them slowly untamed ? what method of "drilling" would be best and how often (everyday, every other day) ?. Another thing thats throwing me off is that when i read various discussions people are always saying how there "scores have been low" or "Its really been helping my score", are they doing PT's on a regular basis like how do they know where their at all the time ? I don't want to make the mistake of leaving all these prep tests until a month before and not giving myself ample time to review and hammer in the blind review method ?
    Sorry for so many questions i appreciate the help
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    At the same time, you don't want to be using up fresh PT's when you're not at your full potential. That was my mistake. I wasted 15+ PT's when I was only scoring in the 150's. I would go through that PowerScore "type trainers" since you already have it. If you feel like you need more practice, definitely get the Cambridge packets as they go up to PT 38. My suggestion is use PT 39-51or at least a good amount of them to drill solely as full sections. After you have spent weeks of just drilling a single question type at a time, your endurance might not be up to par.
  • mitchellkendrickmitchellkendrick Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    Thanks a lot I think thats what I'm going to do ! drill the types throughly un-timed make sure I'm understanding them, ease into doing timed sections, if I need more work on LR (based on the performance of my timed sections) ill pickup the Cambridge packets and drill those as well. Ill continue to drill individual games using the fool-proof method, and again ease into timed sections. RC I definitely need to work on, I'm going to try and consistently drill using the Memory method and then do timed sections as well. Going to save a lot of the PT's for later in my studies. I appreciate the response I now know where I'm headed thank you !
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    It is better to drill more practice sets and focus on your reasoning on why each of the answers are incorrect and why one is correct and then look over the explanations. Since Oct. is a couple of months away you have more time to review those concepts that you did not quiet understand the first time around. REVIEW! Take problem sets from older PTs (1-38) and use those to see what you need to review or spend more time practicing. I would also recommend that you focus on getting -3 or less on LG if you're not already there. It helps your score improve a LOT lol.