Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gone too long....re test same diagnostic?

lobell79lobell79 Alum Member
in General 146 karma

Fell off the wagon, about to run after it again. Took 7sage diagnostic August 2020, bombed it. Original pre 7Sage on khan 150. Considering testing summer 2021. Plan is to start all over again with a year subscription. Many thanks.

Comments

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    500 karma

Hi,

So you took the diagnostic in August or before? I'd suggest taking a clean test if you have a good number of them left, even if its an older test. I don't know how many you went through on your previous prep though.

I took the June 2007 test back in 2017, didn't take the actual LSAT, moved on with my life to other things, and came back November 2020 and retook the June 2007. I didn't remember the actual answers, but I still remembered certain questions that stuck with me and the games section felt familiar. My diagnostic was a few points higher than than it had been in 2017. But there was no real way for me to know whether I did better because I remembered parts of the test, if I had retained anything from my prior studies, or if it was just luck. Taking a fresh diagnostic would probably have given me firmer data to work with.

That said, if you have the old data from when you originally took the test and can compare your answer to your old answers to gleam information about your weaknesses and strengths, that might be valuable time spent. I would think that whatever you decide to do, just keep in mind if you do retake, you may have to contextualise your score a bit.

• charl_ttecharl_tte Member
    23 karma

I took the Khan Academy diagnostic in August 2019 got a 168, practiced for a few months (maybe ~100 hours total between August and January), had a disheartening January 2020 take with a stylus malfunction and other test-day shenanigans. After I took a long pandemic break, I got precisely the same score on my summer 2020 7Sage diagnostic. It felt like a gut punch because I took the Khan Academy diagnostic in 2019 at 11pm after working a 16-hour day and skipped a bunch of questions at the end of my second LR, while in 2020 I felt well-rested and was so much more confident in my score. It happens!

I will say that it was was easier studying and staying on the wagon the second time around, and I ramped up my score really quickly (+12 first to best, consistent -0/-1 on BR after a few months of studying but not exhausting myself).

• lobell79lobell79 Alum Member
    146 karma

Just catching up to the above comments. Thank you! Very helpful to learn and forgive the stop/start nature of this for some of us.
    Best wishes!