PT1.S3.Q3 - Alfred Wegener theory continental drift

edited February 2021 in Logical Reasoning 174 karma

I originally chose 'D' as my answer choice but after reviewing it, I can see where I went wrong. The stimulus describes a theory that had been rejected due to lack of proof/reasoning for the occurrence of the event. The stimulus goes on to say that the theory is now accepted despite not having reasoning/proof. But we accept this theory because we can see the event through observation( because of our technological advances).

A) This answer choice mentions the "aim of science". We are not concerned with the "aim of science".
B ) This answer choice mentions a "mathematical description". The stimulus only says "force". We can't assume that "force" and "mathematical description" are related. Or even technology. If we accept that "science has become far more accurate at identifying underlying forces", our stimulus wouldn't make much sense. It could be weaken because they didn't accept Wegner's theory on the basis of force.
C) Eliminated. Technology and measuring instruments are not the same. Even if it were, the theory isn't harder to work out. The author never mentions this phenomenon.
D) "Employing statistics and the laws of probability". No.
E) "When the event a theory postulates are detected" or when we can observe an event..."the theory is accepted without even an explanation" Yes. It is the correct answer and it matches the example in the stimulus.

Please critique or reply with your line of reasoning.