pt 16 game 4 .. I tried over and over still can't attempt the questions any help?

learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
edited February 2021 in Logic Games 730 karma

Hey I'm trying to foolproof games 1-35 pacifico style. I stumbled upon pt. 16 game 4. This is the hardest game I've ever seen. I thought PT.12 (game 4?) the flask game was hard but this game I can't even attempt the questions.. I spent 2 hours trying to understand it. I thought my confusion was that I didn't realize odd/even alternate. Afterward I realized this.

Now I guess the fifth rule is confusing me?
low defeats higher then switch but wouldn't this revert back to the original?

Idk a lot of rambling here but feel free to tell me ur reactions to pt 16 game 4, whatever they may be...

(This is the tennis game where u switch odd & even) 5 slots)

Also, do u guys skip 5 star games when ur foolproofing and save em for later? or..?

Comments

• yang9999yang9999 Core Member
    edited February 2021 419 karma

@learn2skipQs said:
    Hey I'm trying to foolproof games 1-35 pacifico style. I stumbled upon pt. 16 game 4. This is the hardest game I've ever seen. I thought PT.12 (game 4?) the flask game was hard but this game I can't even attempt the questions.. I spent 2 hours trying to understand it. I thought my confusion was that I didn't realize odd/even alternate. Afterward I realized this.

Now I guess the fifth rule is confusing me?
    low defeats higher then switch but wouldn't this revert back to the original?

Idk a lot of rambling here but feel free to tell me ur reactions to pt 16 game 4, whatever they may be...

Also, do u guys skip 5 star games when ur foolproofing and save em for later? or..?

It looks like you ran into a buzzsaw of "oddball" games -- i.e. games that don't fit any of the regular categories for games. The particular one in pt 16 game 4 looks like a "pattern"/"piece swapping" game. so let's take a look: "lower defeats higher, then switch" -- so if we had an old 1 2 3 4 5 ranking, all that means is that the player names switch positions. If 4th beats 3rd let's say, then the old 3 becomes the _new_4 in the new ranking.

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

I think the questions really threw me off actually. Thanks a lot 4 the response. @lsat_gunner happy studying --goodluck

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited February 2021 500 karma

I just did this game because I saw you post about it. It's definitely hard. I went 5/6 but had to answer the last 2 in Blind review because I went over time by a little. Q. 22 ate so much time and I still got it wrong. I'm definitely adding this game to my foolproof.

It's hard to know how to offer help without knowing exactly what you're thinking/what you're confused about.

I think you could display the rules as something like this:

original setup:
    a b c d e
    1 2 3 4 5

could become on an even round

b a c d e or b a d c e or a b d c e

and on an odd round, you'd do the same type of thing and switch them based on the second rule. For example, b c a e d, etc.

I don't think you have to explicitly think about the alternating rule for Q 19, 23, and 24. It's kind of built into 23. If M wins 3 games, it moves up 3 slots, so it would have to go even odd even.

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    edited February 2021 730 karma

Thanks I appreciate that. I guess I should've done hypotheticals like u mention. I came into the game empty handed. The questions also make it hard. Good job with that 5/6, killer game in my opinion. @McBeck418