Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reach out if you need help.

canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
edited April 2021 in General 8313 karma

This is not an inspirational post. This great community has plenty of that... just do a search. I suppose it's a request.

I've had a couple worrying and heartbreaking conversations with students/applicants this past week. These are challenging times; this test can seem insurmountable, this application cycle sucks, and people, in general, can be dicks.

But you are not your score, GPA, or admissions outcomes. Your worth isn't defined by the approval of others. Realize that if you've decided that you will succeed, nothing will stop you. Anxiety and stress happen when we worry about things we cannot control. We cannot control how a school goes about admissions decisions, family negativity, or how easily this test comes to us. We can control our health (moral, physical, and mental), our personal development, engagement in our passions, and relationships with others. No event or circumstance is inherently good or bad... it's our reaction that makes it so. As important as it seems now, this test and your applications cycle will ultimately be just another blip in the great story of your life. When we look back, what will matter is how we handled ourselves and how we reacted to circumstances that were less than ideal.

Sometimes it's hard to see those things, and thats ok. If you need help... if you are considering self-harm or some action of significant consequence that cannot be undone, reach out for help. This is one of many standard crisis hotlines:1800273TALK.

I cannot post contact info in the forum, but if you are reading this and need someone to talk to, DM me. I promise I will get back to you. If this post is still up, the offer stands. Whether you just lurk on this forum or post like an all-star. Whether its your first day here or third year. No matter what you're struggling with. I fought in Afghaistan and was an EMT, police officer, and counselor. Nothing you can tell me will be weird. If you feel like you have no place to turn to, please, as a favor to me, send me a message and lets talk.

Comments

• RyanazRRyanazR Member
    208 karma

Actually would love to talk sometime haha. Will PM you in a bit.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@RyanazR

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• JChau2610JChau2610 Alum Member
    51 karma

I wouldn't mind having someone to talk

8313 karma

@JChau2610 I just sent you a message! Thank you for reaching out.

• SufficientConditionSufficientCondition Alum Member
    311 karma

Thanks for posting

• janehzhang17janehzhang17 Member
    49 karma

Thank you for posting!!

• mere_mortalmere_mortal Core Member
    edited March 2021 91 karma

there's nothing wrong with using crisis hotlines, but everyone should be aware that they aren't as confidential as they claim. Many trace calls, and often send the police to come get people who call, even people who wanted to call "anonymously". Some people get picked up at work, even, or in other public places where people can see and it can ruin your job/life/reputation. More info here: https://www.madinamerica.com/2020/11/suicide-hotlines-trace-your-call/

• jpoznan0587jpoznan0587 Core Member
    220 karma

thank you for posting this !

• smm755smm755 Core Member
    52 karma

Thank you for posting this! It's difficult not to be hard on yourself while studying for this test but at the end of the day that doesn't help anyone doing that

• LawSk00LLawSk00L Core Member
    85 karma

thank you for posting this

• foodplantsfoodplants Core Member
    46 karma

Thank you for posting this!! I’ve been stressed and having doubts about my abilities but it is so good to know I’m not alone.

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

Thank you for posting this :blush:

• LsatandchillLsatandchill Member
    edited March 2021 78 karma

Just want to post to say thank you for posting this, especially in this brutal cycle.

I got my first rejection this morning. Although somewhat expected, it did hurt.

But I really believe what doesn't kill you can make you stronger (if you let it).

You don't have to listen to me but Spivey seems to agree with that: "I have never seen an aspiring law student fail to get to where they want if they simply worked hard and stayed positive."

I found his blog post below incredibly helpful for someone on the same boat :smile:

https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/if-you-didnt-get-the-lsat-school-you-dreamed-of/

• yr878yr878 Core Member
    22 karma

These words mean a lot for me. Thank you so much! I’m the gap year preparing for the LSAT, there are moments I feel so lonely and down. Wish could talk to you sometime.

8313 karma

@yr878 said:
    These words mean a lot for me. Thank you so much! I’m the gap year preparing for the LSAT, there are moments I feel so lonely and down. Wish could talk to you sometime.

Feel free to reach out anytime!

• jaea6195jaea6195 Core Member
    67 karma

@mere_mortal said:
    there's nothing wrong with using crisis hotlines, but everyone should be aware that they aren't as confidential as they claim. Many trace calls, and often send the police to come get people who call, even people who wanted to call "anonymously". Some people get picked up at work, even, or in other public places where people can see and it can ruin your job/life/reputation. More info here: https://www.madinamerica.com/2020/11/suicide-hotlines-trace-your-call/

I can't speak to other hotlines but I volunteer for a text line. I will say this can happen, but there needs to be clear proof straight from your messages that there is immediate danger. For example, you make it clear that you are about to commit suicide - you have the means and a plan to do so within the next few hours, for example. The goal is to help texters get through the tough times so this does not happen. All volunteers are trained to try to talk you down, rather than call for help. We do not want to have to do that.

If anyone is struggling, please don't NOT reach out out of fear that 911 will be called. They most likely will not be unless your life is in danger. If you need to talk to someone, reach out!!

• mere_mortalmere_mortal Core Member
    91 karma

@jaea6195 said:

@mere_mortal said:

I can't speak to other hotlines but I volunteer for a text line. [...]
    If anyone is struggling, please don't NOT reach out out of fear that 911 will be called. They most likely will not be unless your life is in danger. If you need to talk to someone, reach out!!

You're giving anecdotal evidence about what happens at a single line. I linked to an article by investigative journalists that covers the swath of the "hotline" landscape. People who want help shouldn't be tricked or lied to either.