Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waitlisted: Updated Resume

nanabillannanabillan Member
edited February 2021 in Law School Admissions 347 karma

I hope everyone is keeping their heads up in these times.

I got waitlisted and would like to send an updated resume. Since I finished the LSAT, I have been learning the Russian language. I know Arabic, Hebrew and conversational Spanish and I chose Russian because I love the language and have always wanted to learn it. I also know that being a multi-lingual lawyer can only be a competitive plus. Does anyone know how I can go about sending an 'updated resume'?

This is what I have so far but it feels so bland. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

Dear Admissions Committee,

Thank you for reviewing my application for admission to XX School of Law. Since completing the LSAT, I have been teaching myself the Russian language. A multi-lingual lawyer is indispensable and learning Russian can only open more doors of opportunity for myself and put me at a competitive edge.

Furthermore, I would like to express my continued interest in the school of law.

Sincerely,

XX

Comments

• nanabillannanabillan Member
    347 karma

bump

• UCLApleaseUCLAplease Member
    281 karma

Noooo, I would not send this email. It sounds too pompous, and a skills update is not at all necessary or even wanted by the admissions team. Do not email this.

• edited March 2021 1952 karma

i think you should plan to send in a loci, and if you absolutely think that you should include that language update, i'd try to find a more appropriate way to fit it in.

in terms of your letter – as it is written, to me it also seems like you want to convey the learning of the new language as your primary point, then the continued interest in the school second – it should be the other way around.
    maybe change the structure of your letter to convey your continued interest first, then talk about your updates.
    and i also agree with the poster above that the tone and language as written can sound a bit pompous.
    hopefully, an admissions expert could chime in to this discussion (as they have more recently, which is really cool!), but here's something to get you started:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/what-to-do-after-you-get-waitlisted/

good luck!

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

As a former admissions officer, I think there are better ways to reiterate your interest in the school. Figure out when the deposit deadline is for your target school. About 3 weeks before the deadline, plan to send a one page letter of continued interest in the program. In terms of content, the school is looking to see (1) if you are still interested in attending their school, and (2) if you are able to immediately commit to attending if admitted off the waitlist.

Other information you could include is (a) how this school in particular can help you achieve your professional goals and (b) what you would offer the school's community. I think it is great that you are using your time to enhance your professional skills by learning a language. You should definitely incorporate it into the LOCI. Good luck!