Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Better place to practice big law

ExNewYorkerExNewYorker Alum Member
in Off-topic 117 karma

Tampa or Dallas?

What’s a better place to practice transactional law
  1. Tampa or Dallas ?12 votes
    1. Tampa
      16.67%
    2. Dallas
      83.33%

Comments

• ExNewYorkerExNewYorker Alum Member
    117 karma

I see that on average Tampa lawyers make less than Dallas lawyers ... why is that?

A lot of people are moving down to Florida ... wondering if that helps the legal market ... and ultimately the pay

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I am not well informed enough to give information on the market conditions, though I would guess it might depend partly on what type of big law.

But Florida has no income tax. That's something to factor in if you're worried about pay. Though I don't think Texas is a high tax state either.

I also think that Texas is a rapidly growing state as well. I want to say that North Carolina, Arizona, one of the Dakota (North?), and Texas are all among the fastest growing in the US. I don't know where Florida falls or how the pandemic has changed all that

• 1050 karma

Texas also has no state income tax. But you’ll pay for stuff like the Tollway if you want a decent chance of getting anywhere on time. Plus I’m sure rent has gone up since I was living there, every time I went into Dallas when I moved to Fort Worth it would seem like a different city, it’s growing rapidly.

Pros: Amazing food, of all kinds. Hands down some of the best food I’ve ever had. Also, really great coffee if you’re into that. The arts are very well funded because there are a lot of rich people. (In general the city is extremely bougie) Good museums, the Dallas Symphony is fantastic and their home is one of the most amazing concert halls in the country. Really great night life, super cool bars and neighborhoods. I always loved Deep Ellum and the Bishop Arts District.

Cons: Traffic traffic traffic, it’s so bad. And, as we’ve seen from recent weeks their cold weather infrastructure is... horrifying. Ice storms do happen there and be prepared. I experienced an ice storm there and it was not fun, I basically had to camp out at SMU to stay warm. The heat sucks but you’re choosing between that and Florida, so.... oh if you’re health-conscious beware of all the much delicious and convenient fast food. On the other hand, I would give a lot to have an In-N-Out near me again.

I’m sure there’s more if I thought about it, but in general I look back on my time in Dallas with very fond memories. Just one experience, but there you go!

• 1050 karma

I now realize that's not exactly what your question was. But, hey just in case you or anyone else is curious about Dallas haha.