Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension

How might I further increase my RC accuracy?

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

How do you currently approach RC?

One thing that helped me was quickly re-reading the first paragraph once I was done reading the entire passage. That way, I have a better sense for how the main points come together and the author's opinions before going into the questions.

• teechj117teechj117 Core Member
    291 karma

Keeping in mind referential phrasing, voices, has certainly helped with retention and whos saying what. Anytime I see something referring to another, I'll usually re-read the points for clarity. Also, doing a low res of each paragraph in a passage. Both of these also work with the overall strategy of staying engaged. It's easy to drift in RC.

• WallerNVWallerNV Member
    61 karma

My approach has been Low/High Resolution for each paragraph and then a quick summarization in my words at the very end, then moving onto the Qs. I like the idea to re-read the first paragraph. I'm going to apply that to my PTs and practice sets.

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

i get average -1/-3 wrong on RC, and what has helped push me up to this point is simply, before heading into the questions - remind yourself a few things: the general tone of the passage, what each paragraph's purpose is (e.g. support main conclusion, provide example for hypothesis, etc.), and general structure of the passage (even if you just get a feel for it, it's fine).