Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

April vs. June for Retake?

2021 Retake2021 Retake Core Member

Hey everyone,

There have been some really helpful posts on here and I'm looking for some advice on my personal situation. Longer post, so I appreciate anyone who has input!

I've been waitlisted from a bunch of T14 schools this cycle after applying with a very high 160s score from more than a year ago. I sort of winged it studying on my own for that first take and I know I can score higher. In that round of studying, I used most of the PTs in the 50s as well as some scattered tests in the 60s, 70s, and PT 87 because I didn't really understand the whole idea that recent tests are more important.

I figured the best way to improve my application while on the waitlist, or help with reapplying next cycle, was to retake, so I started studying again in February aiming for a retake in either April or June. I'm registered for April, but it's coming up on the date change deadline and I need to make a decision.

Right now, my average over my last 10 Preptests (five tests across the 50s, 60s, and 70s and 80-84) is just above 173. I still have 85, 86, 88, 89, May 2020 clean. RC had been my weakest section last time around, but practicing the memory method with lots of drilling I'm consistently down to 1-3 incorrect per section. For LR I'm at a solid 0-1 incorrect. The problem is that all of a sudden, on some of the most recent tests, I'm missing a full logic game and that's taking a big bite out of my practice test scores as well as that 10 test average - i.e. a 166 on #81 and a 169 on #83 where I completely balked on one game each. I sort of panicked in both of those cases when I was obviously missing an inference, but was able to fix everything on Blind Review relatively quickly. Still, those tests are so recent that I'm worried I could screw up a LG section on the actual test and mess up my overall score if I retake in April.

I'm taking this week to go back over Grouping Games (these seem to be part of the problem) and drilling harder problem sets along with as many Miscellaneous Games as I can find. I've also foolproofed all of the games sections I've taken since February. I'm thinking about taking PT 85 and 86 before the 27th (date change deadline) to make a final decision on April.

Alternatively, I could switch to June and really spend a lot of time on LG in April and May, finish all of PTs 60-80, and then come back to those last five recent tests. I am worried a June score won't be as helpful with the waitlist this cycle, but it will still be useful if I end up reapplying. Of course, I also want to avoid getting a lower or comparable score on the April test.

Any thoughts on April vs. June and what to prioritize for either one?

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Well, I think that, since you're averaging 173 on tests now, you should go ahead and take in April. Being able to boost your application earlier is better when it comes to wait lists. That said, assuming you can afford to, I think you take both if you're still trying to get in this cycle but also looking down the road. If you hit around the same score in April you can still notify them in June with a last minute avoid then. If you don't improve you have another shot before applying first thing next cycle. You're in a solid place. Take all the shots you can get.

The worst that can happen is that you don't improve and then you can still study until the fall and take another test. 4 takes is not too many and depending on when you took not all of them may even count towards limits.

• 2021 Retake2021 Retake Core Member
    17 karma

Thanks for these thoughts! I had honestly been so focused on this cycle that I was really in the "one more shot" mindset. But you're totally right about having more opportunities down the line. I worry about needing an addendum for four takes, but I guess three would be fine.

I'm not super enthused by the $$$ side of things in general, but I guess it's worth putting in the time and effort, especially with this year's elevated applications and scores. Appreciate the perspective!