Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who has done other LSAT courses over this LSAT course?

Jeremy PimentaJeremy Pimenta Core Member
in General 35 karma

Hi all, im Jeremy and ive signed up for 7sage after I found the Khan Academy course to be a little simplistic in nature. (honestly didnt do the entire course there, just did Logic Games and decided to quit and pursue 7sage)

Ive done the GMAT before and for the GMAT its best to kind of take a mix and match of a few courses to get a competitive edge and not be caught unaware at the time of test taking

Has anyone done any other LSAT courses before reaching the 7Sage Lsat? Have you, then in that case, found that the knowledge gained there is superior/inferior or at par with this course?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Comments

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

Hi Jeremy!

I did Kaplan and LSAT Trainer before 7sage. Kaplan was only useful in telling you shortcuts on how to reach answer choices tbh and didn't really explain the reasoning behind the answers/question stems so my score only went up like a few points after the course and it was not very helpful. LSAT Trainer was great, especially for reading comp but since it's all in a book, they can only go so much in depth and wasn't very helpful for when I actually reached the practice tests stage and got answer choices wrong, and needed clarification on those.

That's when I started 7sage, granted since I did both Kaplan and Trainer, I didn't have to watch every single video in the course, but it helped me bridge the gap that Trainer couldn't as I'm reviewing answers and identifying what I needed more information on. So I'd say 7sage was super helpful with that and helped my score jumped like 10 more points.

I would say though 7sage is most helpful for logic games and LR at least for me, especially with the explanation videos. reading comp i was totally good and didn't need to try the 7sage method.

• Jeremy PimentaJeremy Pimenta Core Member
    35 karma

Great! thanks for sharing your journey. I'm absorbing 7Sage well, I do think its very lucid and is a great basecamp. I appreciate the insight of 7S being good at LR and LG, as honestly those were the two areas of practice I required (I did RC in Gmat)

Thanks so much once again

• 424 karma

I did the entire Blueprint prep course before discovering 7Sage, and I can share my thoughts:

Blueprint’s videos do an excellent job of covering the fundamentals, but they lack sophisticated question analytics and decent explanations for many test questions. I’ve never taken the 7Sage CC, so I’m not sure how they compare, but Blueprint offers excellent video lessons while lacking in many other areas.

My one big regret is paying a separate company (which I won’t name here) over $200 for an “advanced logic games” course before I discovered 7Sage - the videos here are the best I’ve seen, and nothing offered in that expensive course comes close to the value offered here. If the 7S CC is even half the quality as the LG explanation videos, then you can rest assured that 7Sage offers everything you need to succeed at this test.

But if 7 Sage didn’t exist, or if you are the type of student who needs fundamental lessons from more than one teacher / source (a common enough trait), I’d have no hesitation recommending Blueprint as a solid backup. Hope that helps!

• 424 karma

I’ll add that 7 Sage offers one other really valuable feature: this! Community support helps so much, and I’m still pleasantly amazed at how healthy the online discourse is here. And I think this is more than just tangential to your question, as peer support really helps solidify learning and provide encouragement and accountability, which is difficult to find with online courses.

35 karma

Hi Hal, appreciate the insight. Thanks for commenting.

I'm a little around half way through this course atm. Im finding it very lucid. (At some places a little too lucid so I bump up the speed to 1.5x) Not really in need of a very fundamental approach actually, especially since there;s no math on the LSAT. ( I did GMAT earlier from Magoosh & Princeston Review, where a lot of fundamentals needed to be revisited time and again, for me)

After reading your share, i visited the Blueprint webpage. Looks really corporate and posh.

So ill be very honest. IMHO, no amount of courses/tutelage will get you there if you dont really push yourself. Im trying to do that atm. There's 7Sage and the Khan Academy course which the LSAC themselves have published so im going to focus on these two primarily for the foundational portion of the course and then do as many of the test papers as possible. Just thought of sharing my game-plan. What about yours?

And yes, agreed!! The forum part is a great way to connect with like-minded people.

And I also do wish you all the best in a focused and strong approach. :smile:

Jeremy

• Jordan JohnsonJordan Johnson Member
    686 karma

Hi @"jeremy.pimenta",

As someone who took the GMAT during undergrad (I've now completed my MBA) and just took the LSAT this past weekend, I can say that the approach you're suggesting worked well for me. I used Manhattan Prep's GMAT course as my initial dive into the GMAT, and then supplemental materials to ensure that I hit a 700+ score for that test.

The LSAT is similar, in that I'd suggest that you use one resource for introductory information, and then 'branch out' to understand the approaches that other resources provide. On the LSAT, I've found the following to be useful:

• Subscription to 7Sage and LSATLab (for all three sections);
    • Books from Manhattan Prep (for LG), Elemental Prep ("The Loophole" for LR), and PowerScore (for both LG and LR);
    • A combination of resources for the LSAT RC section -- many of them online and free to access (I did not find PowerScore's RC Bible helpful, but YMMV).

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best,
    Jordan

• 424 karma

@"jeremy.pimenta" said:
    Hi Hal, appreciate the insight. Thanks for commenting.

I'm a little around half way through this course atm. Im finding it very lucid. (At some places a little too lucid so I bump up the speed to 1.5x) Not really in need of a very fundamental approach actually, especially since there;s no math on the LSAT. ( I did GMAT earlier from Magoosh & Princeston Review, where a lot of fundamentals needed to be revisited time and again, for me)

After reading your share, i visited the Blueprint webpage. Looks really corporate and posh.

So ill be very honest. IMHO, no amount of courses/tutelage will get you there if you dont really push yourself. Im trying to do that atm. There's 7Sage and the Khan Academy course which the LSAC themselves have published so im going to focus on these two primarily for the foundational portion of the course and then do as many of the test papers as possible. Just thought of sharing my game-plan. What about yours?

And yes, agreed!! The forum part is a great way to connect with like-minded people.

And I also do wish you all the best in a focused and strong approach. :smile:

Jeremy

Agreed! To me, it’s all about 1) mastering the fundamentals and then 2) drill and review. I did 1) on Blueprint, but I think 7Sage sounds like a better option. But as for drilling, 7S is absolutely the way to go.

• MartianmanMartianman Core Member
    edited April 2021 211 karma

I preferred the methodology of blueprint far and away to 7sage for LR, but the layout of the practice tests and practice material is abhorrent. 7sage is second to none as far as interface, problem sets, etc. Blueprint without a 7sage subscription would’ve been frustrating as hell. They put the question difficulty in the corner when drilling.... like what in gods name are they thinking. It’s impossible to approach the question in an unbiased manner knowing if it’s considered extremely easy or extremely difficult and I would say detrimental to one’s learning

• 424 karma

@Martianman said:
    I preferred the methodology of blueprint far and away to 7sage for LR, but the layout of the practice tests and practice material is abhorrent. 7sage is second to none as far as interface, problem sets, etc. Blueprint without a 7sage subscription would’ve been frustrating as hell. They put the question difficulty in the corner when drilling.... like what in gods name are they thinking. It’s impossible to approach the question in an unbiased manner knowing if it’s considered extremely easy or extremely difficult and I would say detrimental to one’s learning

Ha! I had to tape a piece of paper over my monitor to hide the question difficulty on Blueprint

35 karma

@"Jordan Johnson" Nice!! How did the LSAT go? Are you feeling relieved? ha ha!! Yeah the GMAT did need a lot of reinforcements from all sides. I'm in a flow atm with 7Sage and i plan to give as many tests as possible here with the notes from 7S. Hopefully it should get me through to a good enough score. Im aiming for anything above a 165 at the very least.

But all the best to you. Hope your journey goes well as a future advocate!

35 karma

@uvababyhoo hey thanks for the insight!! Im optimistic about RC as well. Its LR and AR/LG (whatever they call it) that;s a concern for me and seeing as you found those to be pretty solid then i guess im in the right place. Have you given your LSAT?

35 karma

@Martianman Ahh ... good to know... Im finding this course to be a great start. Let's see about that though. The tests shall reveal it all :smile:

• MartianmanMartianman Core Member
    edited April 2021 211 karma

Definitely @"jeremy.pimenta" it’s good stuff!

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Like @"Hal Incandenza" I did Blueprint. I did 7sage CC a tad too quickly, finished it, then did Blueprint. Blueprint did nothing for my LG, was useful for more LR and RC strategies, but I don't know if it was worth the 1000 dollars for it after having done CC. Blueprint is not bad though.

35 karma

woah for $1000 it better be worth it
    Are there any topics that blueprint covers that say 7sage does not?

• Emmer28Emmer28 Core Member
    34 karma

Hey there, I took the Powerscore online live course last year around May/June I liked it although found 7sage and the Loophole book to be more beneficial at explaining things. I have been switching between the Loophole and a couple 7sage videos as a I go and find the Loophole book to be helping me get better at the 7sage curriculum. The cons with the Powerscore class, if you are on a budget it is extremely expensive at almost $1k, I like that it was live however a lot of the class times were super late for me. I am the type of person to go to be at 9 or 9:30pm to get up and study at work at 7am so most of the classes went until 11pm. I believe it is the same information in the Powerscore books just with a little bit extra umpfh supplemental info. I believe I only had access for a couple months after the courses ended to rewatch the material.

Whereas here in 7sage you have access to almost (if not all) the practice tests and videos for majority of the questions which I like you can do at your own pace and rewatch if needed. I think JY explains it in a very simplified way that any range of skill level on the LSAT can understand.

There might be more info the LSAT reddit about prep courses, but I love 7sage for how relatively cheap it is in comparison to other methods. If you want to take a month or so break you can pause your account.

35 karma

@Emmer28 said:
    Hey there, I took the Powerscore online live course last year around May/June I liked it although found 7sage and the Loophole book to be more beneficial at explaining things. I have been switching between the Loophole and a couple 7sage videos as a I go and find the Loophole book to be helping me get better at the 7sage curriculum. The cons with the Powerscore class, if you are on a budget it is extremely expensive at almost $1k, I like that it was live however a lot of the class times were super late for me. I am the type of person to go to be at 9 or 9:30pm to get up and study at work at 7am so most of the classes went until 11pm. I believe it is the same information in the Powerscore books just with a little bit extra umpfh supplemental info. I believe I only had access for a couple months after the courses ended to rewatch the material.

Whereas here in 7sage you have access to almost (if not all) the practice tests and videos for majority of the questions which I like you can do at your own pace and rewatch if needed. I think JY explains it in a very simplified way that any range of skill level on the LSAT can understand.

There might be more info the LSAT reddit about prep courses, but I love 7sage for how relatively cheap it is in comparison to other methods. If you want to take a month or so break you can pause your account.

oh sounds like a fair comparison, same here, i prefer going to bed by 1030/11 and getting up by 6 to hit the books
    Have you given the lsat since last year? I feel just getting into speed and attacking the thing all in one go and never having to look back again.

• Emmer28Emmer28 Core Member
    34 karma

I took it first in February 2018 I barely studied effectively or efficiently. I was supposed to take it in November 2020, but did not feel prepared enough so I pushed it back to January 2021. The January test was definitely harder than anticipated and scored what I was practicing at, I knew with more practice I could do better. I am signed up for the June 2021 test and am debating on pushing it back to August. My best section is the Games where right now I am getting -2 on them, whereas the LR I am getting between -7 and -10 and RC I am getting between -12 and -15. So I am trying to drill down on the RC in the mean time and get that down to the level of LR.