Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to move forward after test day

dbtornell4dbtornell4 Core Member
edited April 2021 in April 2021 LSAT 67 karma

I just took my first official test this morning and I have doubts about how well I did. I felt less confident with my test performance today than on a typical PT but maybe that is normal.

I started with a 152 diagnostic on Feb 1 and have spent roughly 4+ hours studying each day since. I have taken roughly 12 PT with my last 5 averaging to a 168 (scored between 167-170 on all 5 with BR typically a point higher with one exception when I scored 176 on BR after a 170 during timed conditions). My ultimate goal is 170+. Recently I've gone -0 on LG, between 2-5 n LR and 3-6 on RC. I felt today I was definitely closer to the lower end (5-6+ wrong) on both LR and RC.

For those who have taken the test multiple times: did you continue studying right after your latest official attempt or did you take time off between the test and when your official score was released before reevaluating/resuming your study schedule?

I started with Mike Kim's LSAT trainer for one month and then moved to 7 sage for about six weeks. I was considering purchasing the power score bible for LR and then also reviewing the basic curriculum in 7sage rather than jumping right back into PT and problem sets but I am open to other's opinions/experiences.

Comments

• 540 karma

For me, the January 2021 LSAT was an emotional roller coaster. Afterward, I was so glad that it was over. I couldn't stand looking at the LSAT in the following week, so I gave myself that week to recharge and recover. I came back the following week refreshed and enthusiastic about studying again.

I'm really glad that I did. Instead, if I just powered my way through the week immediately after the LSAT, I may have burnt out. And over the long run, that would have been a far worse position to be in.

• ShannonLShannonL Member
    26 karma

I had a similar diagnostic score and averaging about the same with a goal of 170+. I felt the prep test today is going to be on the lower end of my average. I'm taking a week off and planning to really indulge in things that make me happy and foster a positive mindset. After that I'm going to get back to studying. Everyone is different but I think I'm going to benefit from a break :)

• 424 karma

I’ll echo the sentiments here and add to them - taking a break isn’t just useful as a preventative measure against burnout; it also helps your mind recharge, process what you’ve learned, and recover from the exertion of study. I highly suggest a 7-10 day total break before resuming study, as in many cases you’ll be pleasantly surprised to see growth in your score.