Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retaking June LSAT to get off the waitlist

Hi everyone!

I was waitlisted at my 'dream' university this cycle. While I received a 156 LSAT score on my most recent exam, I'm below the school's median LSAT score.

I saw a few older posts on this subject, but does anyone think that in this specific cycle it would be worth it to retake to improve my LSAT score in order to help my chances of getting off the waitlist (and/or, of increasing scholarship at a school I've already gotten into)? I realize this cycle is uber competitive generally.

I was PT'ing 160-164 before my last exam, though felt I did poorly because I had to take my exam at an early morning time (7 am). I know I can do better - it is just a question for me of whether taking it again would make any demonstrable difference in the application process.

(And if so - should I let this school know I'm retaking the exam?)

Comments

• joeym702joeym702 Core Member
    50 karma

If you're confident you can do better between now and then, do it. I was waitlisted by my goal school as well back at the beginning of February. I've been studying since then (after taking a long break since the NOV LSAT) and have brought my score up +5 on PT's so far -- after also scoring in the Mid 150s like you.

My advisor told me the best time to take it would always be when you're fully ready. If I'm still not where I need to be by June I have no issue cancelling, either. Just a word of advice.

As for letting them know, I wouldn't until you have a score. Let them see for themselves when looking at your status.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. You may have been waitlisted for any number of reasons at your target school. However, it is common for waitlisted candidates to offer a new and improved LSAT score. If your current LSAT score is below the school's median, a new score that is above your target school's median could help you file stand out from the rest of the waitlist. Because there are more applicants this cycle and more applicants with high LSAT scores, it would not be unusual for schools to try to increase their LSAT medians by a point or more. If you register for the June exam, the schools will be able to see it. You don't need to inform the admissions office of your plan to sit for the exam. Once the score is released, you can reach out to the school and tell them of your continued interest in attending the school, your new score, and your willingness to commit to attending if admitted. Good luck!

• --skim----skim-- Alum Member
    102 karma

Is there a downside if the score is lower?

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Offering a higher-than-median LSAT score is one effective way to get attention as a waitlisted candidate. The admissions committee will turn to the waitlist to meet the needs of their incoming class. Your application may still meet some other enrollment priority that doesn't involve an LSAT score. However, adding a lower score to your LSAT history could create an impression that you are an inconsistent standardized test taker. This could affect the committee's assessment of your potential for success in your 1L year (which affects your early employment options) as well as the bar exam.

• meghanegmeghaneg Core Member
    60 karma

Hi! I'm doing the same--currently at last year's median for my top choices, which is definitely below this year's median, and retaking in June. I asked them before registering for the test if they would consider the score, and both schools said yes. Wishing you luck! We're so close!!!