Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone who has taken FLEX before...

teeksd9898teeksd9898 Member
edited May 2021 in June 2021 LSAT 112 karma

Hi everybody!

Taking the June LSAT. I have a rudimentary understanding of how FLEX works but am unsure of really happens on test day.

What is the proctor/ situation like? Does your screen lag when taking the exam? Any prep tricks/ tips you guys have before my big day? Any ways to calm your nerves? What time did you start/ finish?

Really would love any/all advice. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Comments

• larnlevittlarnlevitt Member
    64 karma

Hello! I took the Flex in February. It was pretty uncomplicated but I didn't have any issues with ProctorU. I have heard of others who had issues. In my experience, the computer didn't lag. Basically the proctor has access to your camera and screen so they can see you taking the test but you don't see or hear them most of the time. My proctor came on the speaker of my computer once to tell me I was mouthing the words while doing reading comp which I wasn't allowed. I didn't even realize I was lol. Honestly it was pretty easy after the test got going to just zone in and not even realize the proctor was there.

64 karma

Oh and it took about 2 hours from start to finish between the set up with the proctor and the test. The set up is basically you showing the proctor your clean sheets of paper, your testing space, your desk, etc. And then after the test is done you have to show them that you're shredding your scrap sheets so that takes another few minutes. They really walked me through all of it though.

• calmacalma12calmacalma12 Member
    41 karma

@larnlevitt I'm surprised you aren't allowed to mouth words! I understand not being allowed to read or whisper them out loud, but I honestly mouth stuff even when I'm taking an in person test...

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

Honestly, not being allowed to mouth the words? Some of these rules I understand and some of them seem so arbitrary - like how could that possibly have an effect on anyone else?

• Second Language-1-1Second Language-1-1 Alum Member
    82 karma

@NoCommonSense_98
    I took the April flex and it was very pleasant. The room check and instructions etc, all took about 15 minutes and I was good to go. The proctor interrupted me 3 minutes before my last section asking if I was still working, and other than that, everything went well without any major issues. No lags.

I recommend emptying cache, clearing browse history before taking the test. Also, I would restart your computer right before taking the test to have enough RAM space.

Good luck!

• A. LordeA. Lorde Member
    38 karma

I appreciate the answers as well. Definitely taken aback by the proctor telling you that you couldn't mouth the words?! I've been meaning to ask about this, because I talk out loud to myself 100% of the time while I'm studying - if I'm not allowed to do that, I definitely will need to practice that way.

Does anyone else have experience with this aspect of it specifically?

• Reema.matar94Reema.matar94 Member
    18 karma

I took the LSAT Flex in April and the process with the proctor was not as bad as some people experienced. I do want to note that once you click on the link to start your test you will have to manually start sharing your screen and computer with the proctor, this is before you meet the proctor. I was very confused during this process as I did not expect to do that the first thing. After you share your screen you will be connected to a proctor. At this point my proctor asked me for permission to take control of my mouse, but I did not know that I physically had to go and give him permission. The proctor did not let me know that I was supposed to so I was just sitting there for 5 min until the proctor started to speak and let me know. The only issues that I had were before the test trying to get everything set up. My advice is once you are connected to a proctor verbally ask what are your next steps.

• teeksd9898teeksd9898 Member
    112 karma

Thank you all for the advice! Did you have to download a certain type of software pre-exam? When did you get your time to take the exam?

• Allison.bAllison.b Core Member
    9 karma

Hey there! I took the April FLEX and had a great experience. There was a delay in the chat between the proctor and myself but I didn't have to wait more than a minute or so. It took a while for them to go through my computer and turn off all prohibited applications but it wasn't unbearable. I was registered to start at 2:45 and clicked start exam probably about 3:10 or so. I had to of course show them the room but I had to switch my sitting position so my back was facing the door, weird but I guess I understand. At some points I would mutter some passages under my breath if I didn't understand them but the proctor didn't say anything about that. I also couldn't hear/see them the whole time. When I finished I ripped up the paper in camera view, sent a message saying I was finished and then closed the browser. Overall it was a great experience, if you're unsure about something, just ask the proctor. So much better to clarify something than to risk getting the video flagged and your score delayed. Good luck!

• ReVv LuVvReVv LuVv Member
    15 karma

My only advice is MAKE SURE ALL THE TOOLS WORK! I liked the flex, but during the process, the admin disabled some items on my mac. The problem was it that when the exam started I was no longer to use the markup highlight tools. This made it very difficult and distracting. I contacted the proctor, she "noted" that it did not work properly, I contacted LSAC after the test. They never addressed the issue or returned my call. I felt OK with other parts of the exam so I didn't cancel it ( I needed it to meet my deadline) in the end my score was not great. LSAC mad NO attempt to return my calls or emails. This Technical glitch was just ignored... I hope this helps :)

64 karma

@A. Lorde From what I understand you aren't allowed to talk at all during the test in case there were like a person in the room with you that they couldn't see or something

64 karma

@NoCommonSense_98 And No, you don't have to download anything ahead of time, from what I remember. They walk you through it on the day of.

• 14 karma

Ask them to give you a heads up before starting the test! Last time she just started it and kept talking for almost a minute, I asked "wait has the test started and she calms said yup...." After a split second panic mode I asked her to stop talking and all was well.

That only happened once out of two times, but you might as well ask for a heads up cause it can easy set you down a rushed path.
    Good Luck, you got this!

• teeksd9898teeksd9898 Member
    112 karma

@mcusi2010 thank you so much!! :)

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

Can anyone else confirm that silently mouthing words when reading isn't allowed? I have a habit of silently mouthing words when reading in RC as it helps me be more active - I saw one person post that they were called out on this, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks!

• FloridaManFloridaMan Core Member
    139 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    Can anyone else confirm that silently mouthing words when reading isn't allowed? I have a habit of silently mouthing words when reading in RC as it helps me be more active - I saw one person post that they were called out on this, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks!

I would also like to know. Mouthing words improves my comprehension.

• edited August 2021 5 karma

@"andrew.rsn" @FloridaMan For what it's worth, I just called LSAC to ask about silently mouthing during the test and the guy told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not talking, but that I should double-check with the ProctorU rep before the test. Hope it helps!