Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I write an LSAT addendum?

I have 3 LSAT scores on record and a 5 point jump between my first score to my second and my second score to my third (total 10 point jump). I've seen a lot of conflicting information online from not writing an addendum and letting my scores speak for themselves to people saying that multiple LSAT scores/score increases need to be explained in an addendum. Do you think my multiple scores and the 5 point score increases between each requires an addendum? I really don't know what to do here so I would love any feedback that anyone has. Thanks!

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

Following

• Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
    717 karma

Hi, I have a 6 point jump on record and I personally would not write an addendum. I think admissions officers understand that score increases usually involve some effort and I don't think that is necessary to explain.

• Brigitte-1Brigitte-1 Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    25 karma

Hi captainwoofs, as a former admissions person and now 7sage consultant, I will say that my thinking on this issue has become more nuanced over the years...... while reading files at a T-14 school, I was of the opinion that "the numbers speak for themselves." However, now that I'm on this side of the desk, I see that some schools specifically ask you to explain a variance of more than X points. For those schools, you definitely should do so but it need not be long and full of excuses..... it can be as simple as: I took my first LSAT without much preparation, so I decided to take a study course and try again. Although my second score went up by 5 points, it was still significantly below my practice test scores. I wanted to give myself one last try to achieve a score reflecting my potential. My third score is consistent with my practice tests scores and reflects my ability to succeed in law school." (Clearly I am using a made up set of facts. You will need to adapt this to your situation.) Re: whether you should always explain a variance even if not asked, I think reasonable minds differ. Some consultants/admissions officers I know say they want to see an explanation; others lean toward "let the high score speak for itself." No crystal clear answer I'm afraid.