Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hi. asking for help.

in General 85 karma

I've been studying for the LSAT on-and-off for over two years now. I work full-time, and by the time I get home I am already too emotionally and mentally checked out to actually focus on studying. I have not taken a prep test since February because after receiving my January score back, I decided I needed to approach the LSAT differently. I decided to hold off on applying for another year, so I am really hoping to apply for Fall 2022. I feel pretty stuck right now. I have been thinking about quitting my full-time job to study full-time. For those that have and/or currently working full-time and still managing to find the mental and emotional capacity to study, what does your schedule and/or strategy look like?

For context, I am a social worker with CPS so you can imagine how much that can impact my mental state after a full-day of work. My typical day looks as given: 6am-get ready for work, 7am-drive an hour to work, 8am-5pm-work, 5pm drive back an hour home, 6:30-7:30 gym. Can I study before and/or after work? Sure, but my day doesn't always run on the same schedule since the job itself can hold me after regular work hours, thus shifting my entire schedule. Can I just find a new job that doesn't cause so much stress? Yes, but I'd have to go through all the orientation/trainings etc only to stay for less than a year (assuming I get accepted in FA2022). Asking for advice before making a final decision on either staying or leaving my job to study. Thanks!

Leave or Stay?
  1. Leave8 votes
    1. Stay
      25.00%
    2. Find a New Job
      75.00%

Comments

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

if this is something that you want to do and do successfully, it seems like with your schedule, studying to your full potential is not feasible for you. Personally, I have a ft job , kids and a sick mom and sleep 4 hours a night max studying but I know that that is nuts. if you can, get another job or wake up earlier, stay up later.

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

My schedule is 5am wake up and then meditate for 15 min have some coffee and then study from 5:30-6:30 am. I then make breakfast and get ready for work and have about a 35 min commute to work. I work from 8:30-5:00 and then go to the gym from 5:45-7:15 and have a quick snack when I get home. I then study from 8:00-9:30-10:00 and I am in bed by 10:30 or 11:00 pm. This is my schedule during the week and I also take Fridays off as my one day off a week. On the weekends I catch up a bit on sleep by sleeping in at least until 8am and then I maybe chill for a bit or go to the gym or go on a hike and make breakfast and hit the books by at least 12pm and study for at least 5-6 hours on the weekends. I also tutor on Saturday and Sunday so I count that as studying as well.

Ultimately, this study schedule really works for me. People call me crazy for what I am doing but my dream is to go to law school and also go to a top law school at that. If you are willing to put in the work and really want to go to law school. You will make it work. Trust me.