Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of postponing a second time

giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
in General 466 karma

Thinking of postponing the June LSAT to Aug, which will be my second time doing so (I was signed up for April and didn't take it), but I honestly don't know which will be worse. I'm in such a spiral of self-doubt and self-hatred I feel like I need a second opinion.

I wasted the two months leading up to the April LSAT with a tutor who didn't help, and what's worse, wasted many of the newer PTs because I was told to take 2-3 a week before I had even grasped the concepts. I had a mild freakout a week before the test in April and postponed to June, thinking I could take a couple of weeks off and go back to studying with refreshed eyes and brain.

Well, it's two months later, I've slept, ate, and breathed the LSAT, I actually dream about it, and yet my PT scores haven't increased one single point, and I'm beginning to think I'm regressing on sections like LG that I thought I had down pretty well, having panic attacks and making dumb mistakes. My LG score hovers around the same, and my RC score is only better when I give myself unlimited time.

Worse still, whether I take the June LSAT or not, it will be the last Flex. My score definitely suffers when have four sections to deal with instead of three (I know this from taking LawHub tests vs. 7Sage simulated flexes). I could take the June LSAT, think of it as practice, get a bad score, and cancel it as it's my first and I have that option. But then what if I take August LSAT and the jump from 3-4 sections completely ruins me, and either way I don't get the score I want?

I'm 36 years old and I really don't have the benefit of spending years studying for this and applying. I've made so many mistakes in my life I just want to do something right, get a good LSAT score, and move on. But now I'm thinking that, like everything else I've tried, this just isn't in the cards for me and I should give up. Basically, I know there is no way I'll get the score I want on the upcoming June LSAT, but I'm frozen with fear and doubt about what else to do.

Please help!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 8313 karma

@"giulia.pines" said:
    ...wasted many of the newer PTs because I was told to take 2-3 a week before I had even grasped the concepts.

First, thats terrible and I'm sorry that happened to you. I would never think of recommending 3 PTs a week. There is very little chance you are making good use of that content.

It's not uncommon to have to go a while refining concepts and strategies, and developing skills before you see a score increase, and a static score doesn't mean you're not improving. Just like a nerve (which is what we are working on when we study anyway) sitting at resting potential that requires a certain level of depolarization to fire. You just haven't reached that threshold yet, and when you do, gains (sometimes very large gains) can be realized. Remember that we can't perceive the majority of progress being made. This isnt a standard academic test of content retention, but a performance test. When I run, I dont feel the improvements happening... I just know it sucks, and I feel like I suck at it. But if I keep at it, I'll get better.

The other thing to consider is burnout... especially if you can say you "slept, ate, and breathed the LSAT." Is burnout an overused catch-all? Debatable, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't operate with an overabundance of caution. Burnout could very easily cause the stagnation you perceive.

I would not worry about the 4 section format. Remember you will still be scored on three sections so it will be more similar to the current test than a 4-scored-section test. You will also have the benefit of a break. Take the test when you are ready. When your target score is at least reasonably within range, but ideally a few points below your PT average.

It's easy to what if scenarios to death, and anxiety is the result of worry over things that are out of our control. So focus on what you can control.

What do you want to do? The goal isnt law school... you want to go to law school to do something. To achieve that goal, you want to go to a certain type of law school. To get into that type of school, you need a certain range of scores. So unless I compromise my goals, my only concern is whether I am committed to doing what it takes to get that score. So what if it takes an extra year? Your dreams are worth at least that.

I was 39 when took my first LSAT. I didn't have another year to study for this test. I took one anyway, and it was the best decision I've made in recent memory. The LSAT is absolutely learnable, and everyone has at one point feared that they were the exception to that rule. We all learn differently and operate on different timelines, but when it comes down to it, all that ultimately determines your success here is your level of resiliency... just don't give up.

I'd be happy to take a look at your analytics and/or have a quick chat to see if I can see any glaring issues or potential tweaks that might help. Let me know!

• JustaKidJustaKid Member
    114 karma

@canihazJD isn't the hero we deserve but the one we need!

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    350 karma

You've spent a total of four months studying. I first planned to take the LSAT in July of 2020... that was nearly a year ago. I postponed July, then October, and took it in November. I was in the 160's... 160's... 160's... then suddenly shot into the 170's a few months ago.

The LSAT is learnable, but it takes time. You're going to be a lawyer for the next 30 years. It's worth spending one more year studying to get into a school you actually want to attend.

• kippbckippbc Core Member
    8 karma

A lot of what you talk about seems to be on surface level anxiety related. I had a big freak-out when I took my April exam as I didn't feel that I was ready, and ended up scoring below what I was making on PTs. That being said, it feels great to have gotten it out of the way. I now know what to expect, and that's been tremendously helpful with the psychological components of the exam.

Personally, I think you should take it and cancel if you're unhappy with the score, as that way at least you have something on file and you've done it one time. Then you get another two months to study. I know many people state that they dont start to get results until several months in, but that it takes time before a breakthrough occurs. You can do this!

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

Thank you so much everyone! Yeah, I guess there really is no downside to taking the exam and then waiting to reschedule for when I'm ready. I assume even if I postpone the August to October that still gives me a window of time to get in applications early. For reference my highest score has been a 164 but I usually get a 161/162. I BR at 171 consistently, and that's what I'm aiming for. How to close the gap? I guess it does really take time.

I read something a while ago (probably written by @canihazJD who is a genius) about how this test really tears us down, especially if we have been raised to think of ourselves as "smart". I have always been a really good standardized test taker and I went to an Ivy league school for college. What's worse, I'm a New Yorker, so I'm surrounded by friends who are lawyers who DID get 170+ and talk about it like it's easy. My perspective is obviously skewed. But you're right that this is all about anxiety and self-doubt and I need to get over that and realize that ten years from now I WILL be a lawyer, and lawyers have cases to win, so they aren't just sitting around comparing their test scores.

edited June 2021 466 karma

@JustaKid said:
    @canihazJD isn't the hero we deserve but the one we need!

I couldn't agree more.

• Take June. It's your last crack EVER at the Flex.

466 karma

@"Take the Bridge" too true :sob::

• mcknzbckmcknzbck Core Member
    11 karma

I've been feeling very similar to the way you've described and these responses have helped me realize I don't want to push my test back so THANK YOU!

edited June 2021 466 karma

@mcknzbck I just pushed mine back! I feel so much better.