Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parallel Method of Reasoning and Parallel Flaw Strategy

7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
in General 932 karma
Hey guys. During timed prep tests, I take a long time to answer PR and PF questions and I only get them right 20% - 40% of the time. Even with this issue, I score pretty consistently in the low 160's. I am considering skipping these questions altogether by guessing after a 30 second preliminary P.O.E. for questions of these sorts. Actually trying hasn't worked much better for me from a percentage standpoint and I think it would probably save me 3-4 minutes over the course of each LR section. Any recommendations?

Comments

• 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Oh and I forgot to mention... I am writing the June LSAT and I am comfortable with scoring in my range. Just seeking idea.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 326 karma
    I'm in a similar boat. I score in the low 160's typically and am going to take in June. I also take forever with these types of questions but I don't run out of time since I can breeze through most LR question types. I have been doing better by quickly eliminating wrong answers and then taking my time with remaining answers. One quick way is to eliminate the opposites/contrapositives/negatives whatever they call it. For example if a is false and be is false so c is false is the question stem, I find any answer that has anything to do with a, b, or c being positive or true to be the wrong answer. This is working for me but again I'm not an expert or know if I'm even doing it right.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    That makes since. I dont know if I have enough time to make headway because of a lack of time between now and test day. I anticipate probably skipping the questions with strategic guesses. Running out of time isn't a big factor for me because I usually finish in under 30 minutes but I think those 5 minutes would be better served checking other answers versus investing them in a mostly losing proposition.
    326 karma
    Whatever you do, good luck. I have a week to figure out how to get a few more points in RC which I think is an even more "losing proposition". Hehe.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Download the Cambridge LSAT problem sets on both question types. I believe they still have them up.
    4181 karma
    Also @visualcreed, you're focusing on the logic of the argument, not the argument itself. Maybe I'm having a mind blip, but these question types can most definitely utilize contrapostives in the correct answer choice.
    326 karma
    @danielznelson I don't remember any recent tests that had a correct answer that utilizes a contrapositive as the correct answer. Of course like I said I might be (or more likely probably) wrong but if you use the contrapositive than wouldn't the logical pattern be different thus not parallel?
    4181 karma
    @visualcreed I believe the logic would be the same, but I'm going to attempt to find a question that does this so as to be sure. But @7sagelsatstudent180, @visualcreed is dead on when mentioning the opposites or negatives of the original reasoning. That and some/many/most, et cetera immediately disqualify a lot of answer choices.