Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skipping Questions

7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
in General 932 karma
Hey guys. During timed prep tests, I take a long time to answer Parallel Reasoning and Parallel Flaw questions and I only get them right 20% - 40% of the time. Even with this issue, I score pretty consistently in the low 160's. I am considering skipping these questions altogether by guessing after a 30 second preliminary P.O.E. for questions of these sorts. Actually trying hasn't worked much better for me from a percentage standpoint and I think it would probably save me 3-4 minutes over the course of each LR section. Any recommendations? Does anyone else skip problems under timed conditions?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @7sagelsatstudent180 said:
    Does anyone else skip problems under timed conditions?
    I skip PF/PR after Q20 and save them for last (I put a big box around the whole Q and make sure to bubble the right Q's ... this is critical). 95% of the time I have time to complete them before the buzzer. They're almost always liable to be time-sinks and I mitigate the risk of losing time on other Q's by reserving these guys for the final minutes of the section.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Can I ask how you approach parallel reasoning and parallel flaw questions? I think it's actually possible to reduce the amount of time you spend on these questions so I'm curious as to how you're approaching these right now.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    I try to break them down using logic but I am admittedly not great at it... I am comfortable with my scoring right now and If I score 160-165 in June, I'd be estatic. I spend close to 1:50 on each PF and PR question regardless of difficulty. It doesn't appear worth it because I tend to miss most of them.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    If you're confident that you'll get them wrong/it'll be a time sink, then I would skip them for sure. No use wasting time on something that you know is a weakness. At the same time, however, if you're ending each section (skipping these questions included) with 5 minutes to spare, then I WOULD take a crack at them. You should probably incorporate drilling of these questions, as I truly believe they can be improved upon. :) especially since the skills in them (conditional statements) are helpful across the exam.

In terms of the parallel flaw, I find it helpful to just read the stimulus and ask myself "what is the flaw". I write down the flaw and then quickly skim through the other answers. Most of the time, I find at least, they give you a sort of.... obvious flaw.... and I think that's just because of sheer volume of amount of text that you have to read. &, even when you're stumped between two, having written down what exactly the flaw was makes it easy to reference so you don't have to reread the stimulus.