Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I re-take if above median for target schools?

SKY54321SKY54321 Member
edited July 2021 in Law School Admissions 90 karma

I read that if you're above the median score, you shouldn't take it again. Is this true?

Some background: I am a first time test taker, and took the June LSAT and scored on the lower end of my PT range. I am above the median for my target schools and right at the 75th percentile mark. I have the ability to do better, but also have terrible anxiety that I don't foresee going away the second go-around. I'm really hoping for some scholarship money and don't know how much higher of an LSAT score I need to boost my chances. Do those few extra points matter if you're already above the median?

--Also worried because of the large number of highly qualified applicants. Could the incoming 2021 class profile cause the scores to skew even higher, thereby changing the median scores of my target schools? Or do these generally stay the same year to year??

I know I asked multiple questions, so thoughts or feedback on any of the above appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments

• aly______aly______ Member
    edited July 2021 78 karma

You should check out lawschoolnumbers.com. Find your school, and look under their "applicants" tab - it's self reported data so it's not perfect, but students can post their LSAT scores, GPAs, whether they got accepted/WL/rejected, and some people report whether they got scholarship money. Maybe you can look at the site and see if people with similar stats as you got scholarship money? Ofc everyone has different personal statements/softs, but it might help you decide whether your score is good enough or if you should consider a retake!

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

If you don't mind me asking, where is your GPA in terms of the school's median? This will also play into getting scholarship money. I feel like if both your LSAT and your GPA are at the 75th percentile for that school then you have a good shot at getting scholarship. I'm sure all of the other factors of your application will play into this as well. If they can see through your essays and resume a genuine strong interesting in going to law school, and their school in particular that will certainly increase your chances I feel.

When it comes to retaking, think of it this way. You already have a great score for the schools you want to apply to. So you can really only go up from here. If the retake doesn't go your way, so what - you already have a good score. and if you do improve your score, then awesome!