Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

October Test Schedule

in General 83 karma

I am following the schedule of the for the October 2021 test. While reviewing the weekly curriculum I noticed that after week 5, I start taking 5-6 LSAT's a week up until test day. Is this recommended? I feel like it takes me at least two days to take a test, blind review, and watch/review explanations to any missed questions. Not sure I would have enough time to do that many in one week. Thanks!

Comments

• LSAT LizardLSAT Lizard Alum Member
    edited July 2021 331 karma

I wouldn't worry too much about the auto-generated study schedule. It's a tool that takes the dates you give it, then tries to spread an awful lot of course and preptest content across the timeframe you picked. It's helpful for longer timeframes like 8 months to a year, but does weird things like six preptests a week for very short timeframes.

JY gives more explicit advice on this topic at the very beginning of the course (in the "Welcome to 7Sage section") here. From that article:

A related mistake is taking too many PTs in quick succession. It's kind of like weight training. You don't hit the weights every day. You need to give your muscles time to recover. Similarly, you don't take a PT every day. You need to give yourself time for the skills you're learning to take root.

What "burn rate" for PTs is right for you? That depends on a whole host of factors, so I'll just set the min/max "burn rate" at 1 PT every two weeks to 2 PTs every week respectively. You decide where on that spectrum you should be.

[...]

If you are studying full time, still don't study more than 30 hours a week. You simply need to give these ideas time to take root and grow. You also need time to relax.

2 PTs a week is a good plan if you really want to move quickly. Throwing in a third PT on some weeks probably won't be too terrible or wasteful with the tests, but it's not ideal. Doing a fourth PT in the same week, I'd absolutely avoid. You're just wasting valuable unseen PTs at that point, consuming them too quickly to harvest all the value you can get out of them.

Also keep in mind that JY recommends a full 12 months of study, though I don't think 6-8 months is uncommon. 3-4 months is extremely uncommon. If you're planning to prepare for the test in 3-4 months, then you've already got very strong fundamentals/skills on at least two of the three types of test sections. You'll be skipping chunks of the core curriculum and taking far fewer PTs before the real thing than most people. And you'll absolutely be putting in 30 hours every week. Even if you are someone who can succeed in this timeframe, it'd still be overall easier and safer to prepare for longer if that option is at all available.

• 83 karma

Thank you for the helpful information!