Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with LR section

rashi.prasadrashi.prasad Member
edited August 2021 in Logical Reasoning 94 karma

Hi,

I have been taking practice tests since end of June till now, and I keep on getting -11 to -15 on LR sections. My LSAT is in October and I am quite nervous about whether I will be able to improve on the LR sections in the next 2 months, especially since I am going into my fourth year of my undergrad in the fall.

Does anyone have any general tips for me on how to improve on LR sections??

Thank you! #help

Comments

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

AYE - I’m doing free tutoring leading up to my Oct/Nov exams. PM me and let’s study together

• RA-1RA-1 Core Member
    55 karma

I would purchase the loophole if you haven't already and try to get through that before classes begin in the fall. the loophole really helped break down LR for me and i went from -11 to -5. Also drill drill drill. drilling questions is a good way to become more familiar with the questions as well as the thought processes that go into each question type

• 64 karma

i went through the core lr curriculum once and felt like I didn't improve at all. So i decided to go through it a second time. I only did quizzes when I felt like I could actually devote my 100 percent to them and also i looked at the questions after finishing the quiz with the idea to understand everything about them. This took me from a -7 in a test which i was familiar with some of the questions to a -4 in a completely new test for me. I recently bought the loophole and it seems to emphasize a lot the idea of trying to rephrase the stimulus after reading it.

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    edited August 2021 606 karma

Maybe not the ideal advice, but this is what I did to improve. Sometimes I go -2 on LR sections.

Every question I got wrong, I wrote out in full in my own words. Conclusion and support. I examined the relationship then wrote out the gap.
    Then I wrote out why each answer choice supports or doesn't.
    I imagine this is what a tutor forces you to do.

Then, during testing, I find the conclusion, the support, I try to para-phrase in my own head. If I get the pre-phrase, I look for the answer. If its a more difficult question, I scratch off the wrong answers, and deliberate between the ones I think are correct.

Seems to work. Only a couple of sections are botched Lsat 83-85, they seemed really tough.

Also, how rested I am significantly affects my performance.

• rashi.prasadrashi.prasad Member
    94 karma

@whatsmyname said:
    Maybe not the ideal advice, but this is what I did to improve. Sometimes I go -2 on LR sections.

Every question I got wrong, I wrote out in full in my own words. Conclusion and support. I examined the relationship then wrote out the gap.
    Then I wrote out why each answer choice supports or doesn't.
    I imagine this is what a tutor forces you to do.

Then, during testing, I find the conclusion, the support, I try to para-phrase in my own head. If I get the pre-phrase, I look for the answer. If its a more difficult question, I scratch off the wrong answers, and deliberate between the ones I think are correct.

Seems to work. Only a couple of sections are botched Lsat 83-85, they seemed really tough.

Also, how rested I am significantly affects my performance.

Hey! Thank you so much for your reply. I recently got some advice from a friend as well who is scoring very well and she said the same thing. I think especially, prephrasing is very important because then you know what to look for in the answer choices. I will definitely try this method. Thank you once again!

94 karma

@"all gain no brain" said:
    i went through the core lr curriculum once and felt like I didn't improve at all. So i decided to go through it a second time. I only did quizzes when I felt like I could actually devote my 100 percent to them and also i looked at the questions after finishing the quiz with the idea to understand everything about them. This took me from a -7 in a test which i was familiar with some of the questions to a -4 in a completely new test for me. I recently bought the loophole and it seems to emphasize a lot the idea of trying to rephrase the stimulus after reading it.

Thank you for your reply! I actually studied through the Powerscore books and got 7sage after I was done with all those books to do practice tests on here so I haven't really gone through the core curriculum on here. I am scared that I may waste time if I go through it because it may tell me stuff I already know? But I also might need to to really understand the fundamentals. How helpful would you say the loophole was for you? I am kind of on budget so I am not sure I want to purchase it unless it really does help with LR; I am worried that I will waste money on it if I can get that same information from 7sage/my Powerscore books.

94 karma

@"RA-1" said:
    I would purchase the loophole if you haven't already and try to get through that before classes begin in the fall. the loophole really helped break down LR for me and i went from -11 to -5. Also drill drill drill. drilling questions is a good way to become more familiar with the questions as well as the thought processes that go into each question type

Thanks for your reply! I am definitely looking into the loophole currently, however, I wanted to ask, how did the loophole differ from the 7 sage CC? I am just not sure if I want to spend more money on LSAT resources if I can get that same information from 7 Sage? Thanks!

94 karma

@lsat_sus said:
    AYE - I’m doing free tutoring leading up to my Oct/Nov exams. PM me and let’s study together

Hey! Thank you so much! I will definitely PM you. :)