Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Later Score Lower Than Older Score.

Lawrence WongLawrence Wong Free Trial Member
edited October 2013 in General 7 karma
My June LSAT was right on the median for the schools I want to get into but my GPA is pretty low so I wanted to do the October LSAT to increase my chances. A week before the October LSAT I found out I qualify for the 'mature' category for many of the law schools I was applying to which would put my June score from the median to significantly better than the suggested median and my GPA right where it should be. In essence, there was no real need to write the October LSAT. But since it was too late to get a refund, I had studied for months already, I didn't think my score would go down since all but 1 of the 15 PT's I had done since June had been higher than my June score, and the schools I was applying to use the highest score, I figured, what the heck let's just do the October LSAT. Turns out that wasn't the best idea as I'm pretty sure I did worse than my June score.

I completely messed up LG, which is normally my best section, and all the other sections seemed harder for me than usual. I didn't cancel my score because all the law schools I'm applying to say they are taking my highest score but now I'm thinking it will look bad even if they don't officially count it. My question is, how bad will it actually look? The law schools I'm applying to are in Ontario Canada if that makes a difference . . .

Comments

• Litian.ChenLitian.Chen Free Trial Member
    136 karma
    what do you mean by "mature" category? and how it works as a booster?
  • Litian.ChenLitian.Chen Free Trial Member
    136 karma
    is it because Canadian law schools actually have a separate evaluation for "maturity"..?
  • Lawrence WongLawrence Wong Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    Basically they have different categories for applicants. For instance, for a university there categories for general, aboriginal, access [university affected by some sort of disadvantage], mature. To qualify for the mature category I have to have 5 years of non-academic experience, ie. I have to be out of university for more than 5 years. The universities are trying to promote diversity and so whereas the general category's median is something like a 163/3.7, the mature category median is 156/3.0. So my mark is not technically boosted, just that the median for my category is lower, thus I have a better chance of getting in.