Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

February 1997 Section 1 Question 9

sharynrynsharynryn Yearly Member
edited August 2021 in Logical Reasoning 11 karma

I don't understand how E is the right answer over D. I eliminated the answer choice E because she claimed to be an insurance adjuster and didn't provide proof. How is claiming to be anything providing enough proof of being a government official? If the answer choice said the insurance adjuster provided some kind of proof I would have opted for it but ended up picking D because the government official provided proof, and I don't consider being evasive necessarily lying.

Comments

• BlueRiceCakeBlueRiceCake Member
    edited August 2021 302 karma

I think the fact she warned her neighbor implies he was housing refugees and she knew it. Which would mean she wasn't being truthful

"You should evade politely or refuse unless the person asking the question is a government official. Then you should answer truthfully"
    This isn't an exact quote but this contains what the question stem was saying
    EP=evade politely
    R=refuse
    GO=government official
    AT=answer truthfully
    /GO--->EP or R
    /EP and /R --->GO--->AT

Mary evaded the question against a GO. Which she is allowed to do without breaking the established rules. I guess the question really expects you to think the fact she warned her neighbor implies she's lying. Which is kinda extreme in pushing what we should infer.

With that said E is the right answer because a insurance adjuster isn't a government official. So answering evasively with a insurance adjuster would be correct, which is what E states.

I don't like this question because it requires way to much inferences to be made that aren't explicit

• sharynrynsharynryn Yearly Member
    11 karma

Thank you @BlueRiceCake !!

I completely overlooked the part about evading questions politely. I was seriously stuck on this one when reviewing it. This is making me realize I need to slow it down when reading especially when doing my blind reviews.