PT2.S2.Q13 - If retail stores experience decrease in revenues

leoxnardxleoxnardx Member
edited September 2021 in Logical Reasoning 82 karma

So I got sucked into the words when I was doing this. This is a clear necessary/sufficient question.

The logic structure, however, was fairly simple. IF retail store has Revenue decrease (RD), that means EITHER Attitde changed or P risen. IF P risen, salaries not Kept Pace. RD--> A or P, and then P --> /SKP.

Question stem shows that salaries kept pace, so SKP contrapositive of P --> /SKP is SKP-->/P. In English: SKP means that Price not risen. Then we go into the answer choice. When I was doing it, I saw D and thought hey if the other condition happened, that means the Revenues does not decrease, Chose D, but no. Both P and and A are necessary condition for RD. Satisfying RD leads to either A or P, but satisfying A or P means nothing to RD, and /P does not lead to A as the sufficient condition RD has not been met. The decrease revenues can still happen, or it would not. Basic lawgic lesson here. AC A is a popular choice, but /P in the condition chain of RD--> A or P doesn't do anything; so /P does not lead to A being satisfied.

Takeaway: be very sensitive to conditional words like IF, and remember the foundational lawgic. IF introduces sufficient condition, and satisfying necessary condition is not enough.

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question"