PT91.S2.Q20 - The study of primates

shubsubershubsuber Member
edited November 2021 in Logical Reasoning 62 karma

Has anyone done this PT and have insight into how to solve this question? I understand why B is correct (the stimulus says that lemurs, which are lower primates, are the only primates indigenous to Madagascar), but I'm not sure why you cannot also infer A. The only living diurnal lower primates are certain species of lemurs, and higher primates evolved from a diurnal species of lower primate. Therefore, chimpanzee's, which are higher primates, evolved from lemurs.
WAIT, I get it. If the stimulus said that the only diurnal lower primates (DLP) EVER were lemurs, then A would be correct. But, it actually says the only living DLPs are lemurs. Therefore, there could have been some other DLP in the past that was not a lemur from which chimpanzees evolved. So we cannot properly infer A!

Posting in case anyone else needs an explanation because there are no official ones yet for this PT. Classic LSAT with the sneaky wording.

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question"