Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unscored section?

drs352drs352 Member
in General 10 karma

Hello,

I'm having a very hard time understanding the unscored section.

So far as I can see, the LSAT will always have at least one of each of the three section types, with one additional experimental section—that is unscored—drawing from any of those three types. Thus, there are a total of 4 sections when you go to take the LSAT, but only 3 count toward your score.

Thus, I am having a hard time understanding why each of the PrepTests I have taken so far have four sections, all of which appear to be scored. My most recent practice test had my get a score out of approximately 26 for each of the 4, for a total of about 101 available points. That seems to be the case for any raw score conversion of any available PrepTest. But if one of those four sections was experimental, why are we getting scored for it? Why can't I identify which one of the sections on these old tests was experimental and thus not consider it in my actual score?

Am I missing something? Did the LSAT only recently change to having 3 scored sections? What is the disconnect here?

Thanks

Comments

• 110 karma

Previous tests used to be 5 sections with 1 unscored hence why PT's are 4 sections. It is now 4 sections with 1 unscored as you have noticed.

Use the flex score converter here to see what your score would be under the current scoring system: https://7sage.com/lsat-flex-score-converter/

Alternatively, what I do is simulate flex (there's a button on the PT interface you click that will drop the 2nd LR section) and do a 4th timed section on the side. Thus when I score my PT, it gives me an accurate score based on my 3 scored sections and the 4th section I substitute for another LR/RC/LG, whatever section requires extra practice.

• drs352drs352 Member
    10 karma

Really helpful, thank you!

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited November 2021 1431 karma

@drs352 said:
    Hello,

I'm having a very hard time understanding the unscored section.

So far as I can see, the LSAT will always have at least one of each of the three section types, with one additional experimental section—that is unscored—drawing from any of those three types. Thus, there are a total of 4 sections when you go to take the LSAT, but only 3 count toward your score.

Thus, I am having a hard time understanding why each of the PrepTests I have taken so far have four sections, all of which appear to be scored. My most recent practice test had my get a score out of approximately 26 for each of the 4, for a total of about 101 available points. That seems to be the case for any raw score conversion of any available PrepTest. But if one of those four sections was experimental, why are we getting scored for it? Why can't I identify which one of the sections on these old tests was experimental and thus not consider it in my actual score?

Am I missing something? Did the LSAT only recently change to having 3 scored sections? What is the disconnect here?

Thanks

Hi there,

Currently, only PrepTests 90, 91, and 92 on 7Sage include an experimental section. You will be able to see which section is experiential when you review your results after completing the PrepTest.

If you took a standard 4-section PrepTest on 7Sage, all 4 sections will be scored. But if you have taken PrepTests simulated in Flex, the scaled scores generated from using "Flex mode" on 7Sage's digital tester use the same methodology as our Flex Score Converter which is based on having the same raw to scaled conversion table, but scored as though there was only one LR section (one half of the usual amount) with the raw score scaled up to account for the reduction in the number of questions. Because no one outside of LSAC knows how the scoring will actually be done, this is just an educated guess.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.