Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stuck in the mid-high 160s... help!

sb253310sb253310 Member
in General 58 karma

Across all three sections, I find that the biggest cause of incorrect answers ends up being that I end up stuck between two options, and choose the wrong one. Or, I believe it is one answer, and then overthink it, and choose the wrong one. I start each section with the mantra that ONLY one answer is correct and all others are unquestionably wrong, but I still have a hard time feeling confident in my answers. Sometimes my initial answer is right and I talk myself out of it, but often times I catch wrong answers and correct them before the time is up. Does anyone have any advice for how I can break this cycle? My current strategy has been to spend a healthy amount of time doing BR & focusing on WHY the incorrect answer is the wrong one, and why the right one is truly right. Still, I worry I won't be able to correct this by June. I'm hoping to break 170 on the exam. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• RavinderRavinder Alum Member
    869 karma

When you are down to two, don't dig in as that increases anxiety which leads to errors. I find skipping the question and coming back with a fresh mindset (and rereading the stimulus) often makes it clear which to pick. Also, I found BR to be not very helpful for improving because it is 'blind' review....meaning that you can't fully remember your thought process at the end of a section. I did over 50 practice tests (over one year) with blind review and was plateaued at 162 despite several attempts at the test. I then focused on quality over quantity and studied just 5 LR questions per day doing one question at a time and immediately reviewing it after reviewing the right answer. This approach of immediate review allowed me to easily remember in detail my thought process and see where I went wrong. I noticed immediate improvement. I applied this same immediate feedback approach to RC and also noted rapid improvement. I only studied from 5 practice tests over the next few months and got a 177. If you want more details of how to do this you can message me.

• sarahislamsarahislam Alum Member
    edited October 2023 111 karma

Hi Ravinder,
    I would love to learn more about this process too. I am currently stuck in the mid 160s on my lsat, a good 8 points below my PTs.

Thanks!
    Sarah

• Sashell - Student ServiceSashell - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    250 karma

Hi @sarahislam,

I removed your email address from your comment in accordance with our forum rule/tip stating, "Do not to post your email or phone number publicly. Spam bots might pick up your email & number and you'll get spam. If you want to share contact info, you can use direct messaging."

Let me know if you have any questions!