Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raw Score to get 174?

Hi All!

I am having some trouble finding this information. I am aiming for a 174, but I can't find much information on how many total questions wrong I can hit to achieve that score in the current format of 1LR 1RC and 1LG. Does anyone know? The 7sage calculator seems a bit wonky.

Comments

• rachnelirachneli Member
    140 karma

It really depends on the curve for the test. If you don’t already listen to the powerscore podcast recaps of previous tests, you should. They explain this. For example, I took January and they said a -7 was a 170. I also took Feb and for my version of the test it was -10 for a 170. Granted these are predictions, but if true, you can kind of see how it’s not the same for every test.

• 571 karma

As @rachneli mentioned, it really depends on the curve of the particular test. For example, I scored a 173 on the January test, which if you give PowerScore's curve prediction any weight, would be around a -4.

• rachnelirachneli Member
    140 karma

Congrats on you score @DontPay4LawSchool! Jan was my first take and I got so nervous I got a 166. I think/hope Feb was better! Hope you are almost done with your journey!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited February 2022 27821 karma

That’s normally going to be about a -6 or -7, or at least that’s how it worked out on a four section test. But it really does depend on the test. It can vary a lot.

174 is starting to get into the range where, really, you’re talking about a 180 with a margin of error. One thing I noticed in my own performance since I worked into that range is that errors are a little more deliberate. For example, I’ll take my odds if I’m 60%/40% between two answers if I expect it to take me two minutes to significantly improve. I may make this move three times over the course of a whole test. What’s my expected outcome? Two right answers, one wrong answer, and six minutes I’d’ve lost otherwise. The six minutes is more valuable than the one point I expect to miss. So I may miss one question in that set, but it’s a choice and it’s a choice that results in a net gain. These are the types of errors you should be thinking about working your way up to.

People tend to start out thinking in terms of error allowances: “If I can go -0 in LG and keep LR to -2, then I can miss 4 or 5 in RC and still be okay.” That kinda thing. And that’s okay to an extent, but it’s really hard to create consistency with that kinda approach to it. You really want to address the problems, in this example, necessitating that kinda allowance for RC. That’s what empowers you to transform your errors into something you can utilize to your advantage.