PT16.S2.Q14 - GDP and Standard of Living

dmlang22dmlang22 Member
edited March 2022 in Logical Reasoning 130 karma

Does someone mind explaining why the correct AC is D? Why would this answer be the necessary assumption that the argument depends upon?

Comments

• edited March 2022 25 karma

Hi there!

That question is tricky, so you should not feel bad about getting tripped up! Like any sufficient or necessary assumption question, the first key is to identify the argument's conclusion, which in this case is that country A's standard of living increased from 1980 to 1990. The main support for this conclusion is provided by the premises that
    1. standard of living is based on GDP per capita;
    2. Country A increased their GDP per capita relative to some other body between 1980 and 1990
    (not exact wording because I don't have the question pulled up anymore)

I think what makes this question tricky is that while GDP is measured relative to another, standard of living is measured in absolute terms instead. The conclusion is not that Country A's standard of living increased relative to the other body, but that it increased compared to what it was in in Country A in 1980.

Let's assume answer choice D is actually false, and the other body's GDP fell by a whole lot between 1980 and 1990. I'm guessing you can see the possibility that this invites -- country A's GDP (and therefore standard of living) could also have decreased, but as long as they decreased less than the body they're being compared to, their GDP advantage would grow even as their standard of living fell compared to what it was in 1980. Unless we assume answer choice D is correct, the conclusion completely falls apart.

I would strongly recommend reviewing the core curriculum instruction on the negation test for necessary assumption questions -- J.Y. kind of teaches you how to hack them.

I hope this helps!