Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the deal with online degree?

So I have been having a hard time getting in to local law schools because of a transcript issue, but it seems I could get in to an online LLB program (equivalent of a JD in the US and Canada) based out of the UK. To become licensed back in North America, several exams would be required. Does anyone know anything about online degrees? Are they received well in the professional world? I'd appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Hi @Aaron123. Former admissions officer here. The benefit of pursuing an online law degree may depend on your professional goals. Jurisdictions have specific rules of who may qualify to sit for a bar exam and practice law. For example, the NY Board of Law Examiners state at https://www.nybarexam.org/jd.html that "The law school which the applicant attended must have been approved by the ABA during all periods of the applicant’s attendance and must be located in the United States or its territories" and

"CORRESPONDENCE STUDY, SELF-STUDY, ON-LINE LAW DEGREES
    Law degrees obtained by way of correspondence, external, internet or self study do not qualify an individual to take the New York bar examination."