Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA Downward Trajectory

Hi Everyone,

I have a downward trajectory in my GPA. My first year GPA is by far my highest year and my last year is my worst year.

The reasons for this were the following: I transferred to a more difficult school after first year and the last term of my undergrad was the first full term during the pandemic (my school didn't offer a Pass/Fail option).

Should I be worried about this?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

If your cumulative GPA is relatively high (or at least higher than the 50th percentile of the schools you're aiming for), I don't think you need to write an addendum. If your GPA drop off was significant or if you're below the medians of schools you're aiming for, I think an addendum may be worthwhile. If you do write an addendum, however, I'd encourage you to phrase it carefully and avoid stating that your GPA dropped because the school you transferred to was simply more difficult.

• User395823561User395823561 Alum Member
    42 karma

@"Matt Sorr" Thank you for the response. So say the GPA was between 4.1-4.2 in first year but then the other years were between 3.4 - 3.67, an addendum should be written even if the CGPA is above the 50th percentile, correct?

edited June 2022 2239 karma

@User395823561 If your GPA is above the 50th percentile, I don't think an addendum is necessary. Also, seeing as the first year GPA you stated (4.1-4.2) was extremely high, I don't think any law school would expect you to maintain that kind of GPA throughout the entirety of your undergrad studies. Assuming the GPAs you received in your other years were relatively similar to each other, I just don't think writing an addendum and, as a result, possibly drawing problematic attention to an area that you're above the schools medians in is worth it.

With all of this being said, I'm not a consultant and my assumptions could be wrong. If you are concerned, I'd recommend speaking with an admissions consultant. I believe 7Sage has multiple that are easy to contact and I've heard great reviews!

• User395823561User395823561 Alum Member
    42 karma

@"Matt Sorr" Sounds good, thank you very much

2239 karma

@User395823561 Of course! Good luck with admissions!